Need your advice/help/whatever

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Hey guys, you all might remember back this summer when I was having some troubles with my boss. Never mentioned anything more about it since, mainly because I didn’t really want to put my dirty laundry out for all to see.

He’s done it again, and I really don’t know what to do about it now. Maybe some of you old-timers that spent your years in corporate (or not corporate, my guess is that this would fit nicely into a military setting, too) could give a youngster like me some advice.

In May of 2004, I was promoted from a position called “Project Engineer” (PE) to a position called “Project Manager Level 3” (PM3). Or, at least, I thought I was. I just found out last week that my boss had never bothered to finish the paperwork on my promotion, so I was never formally promoted. When he came down to do a performance review, he asked me what position I “thought” I was in the company, and I told him PM3. His response was that we would “have to see, that it may not have taken.” I didn’t really understand what he was saying, whether that meant that it hadn’t taken because someone higher up the chain had not approved the promotion, or what. His response was that it meant that no one had ever done the paperwork on the promotion, so that even though they told me that I had been promoted, that even though I had taken on (and done a very good job at, I might add) PM3 duties, and that even though I had business cards printed out that said PM3, and that even though I made the company a buttload of money as a PM3, and had actually completed projects that were on a PM2 level (one level higher than PM3), that I was actually a PE the whole time, and that everyone in the company that I had cooresponded with that didn’t know me personally had seen me as a PE, that my division CEO and company CEO both thought I was a PE for the last three years that I had been talking to them….

Well, you get the point. I talked to a lot of people over the last three years that saw me as their subordinate, and I didn’t even know it. I treated them as equals, and who knows how many feathers I ruffled and didn’t even know it???? I’m going back through the last three years right now and re-living every conversation I’ve had and realizing that if all of these people that I talked to thought I was a PE, that I may very well have many folks in the company that have developed negative opinions about me!

This has wider implications than just politics. I have been asking about my pay scale for some time, since I am at a salary level much lower than PM3. The first year, I was so happy to have the promotion, that I just figured I’d say nothing, and that I would earn the promotion the next year. I got nothing other than a cost of living adjustment for the next two years. They were very small. Now that I think about it, I am at the high end of what a PE should be making. Corporate would not want to pay a PE much more than I am making now, and if you had a guy that spent SIX YEARS in his current position without his manager suggesting a promotion, why would you WANT to give him a raise? Corporate has no idea that I was promotoed 3 years ago. They think I’m THAT GUY!!! I am being shorted something on the scale of 7 to 10 thousand a year because my manager didn’t fill out the paperwork.

What’s more, my BONUSES have been very small. I complained at the time, but just figured that it would all work out in a few years, that I had to prove myself, blah blah more Horatio Alger BS and all that crap. Turns out, I’ve been getting PE bonuses! Over the last 3 years, I would estimate the value to be 10 to 16 thousand dollars!!!

I am a very motivated, hard working individual that works hard at what I do. I pride myself in the effort and result that I put into and get out of every day.

This has destroyed me. I am so demoralized and disillusioned that I am still sitting in my office at 7:35 PM typing this instead of going home to see my wife. I can hardly stand to face her right now. I don’t really even want to get up. I want to quit, but realize now that my resume won’t even show that I was a PM3 for three years. If I quit now, I am technically going out to shop for work as a PE!

My idea for resolution is this:
1.) Go to my manager and suggest that he make up for the salary impacts by giving me a raise that will make up for it now. Suggest that he make up for the bonus impact by cutting me a check now. And finally, suggest that he write a company wide e-mail that explains the situation and makes sure that everyone that I may have stepped on their toes realizes that wasn’t the case at all.
2.) If my suggestions fall on deaf ears, make them demands.
3.) Go to his boss with the same suggestions
4.) Go to the company CEO with the same suggestions
5.) If I get to 5 with no resolution, liquidate my stock, have them cut me a check on the spot, and go job hunting the next day.

If I can’t pick myself up from this, I may just have to quit anyway and go somewhere else. I am so low right now I can hardly even discuss it.

What do you all think about my plan? Any advice you can add?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
man hoss, i dont really know what to say. i really dont understand the coporate world, so i cant help you much there.

i think your #1 maybe the right solution. confront the problem head on, and know that you did what was right, no matter what the out come.

i'll be thinkin bout cha bud, hang in there, and dont give up.

keep your head high, and let your wife be there for you too.

:thumbs

atk

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your problems, but what you outlined in your steps, i think would be appropiate. i am no expert in this area and i am sure some others will pipe in with there expertise`s....i was somewhat in the same situation as you, now i am self employed. hope it all works out for you....

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what ever it is you have to do, but fine another job before you quite this one. I am retired now and it was always easer to find a job when I had one, then it was when I had quite or been fired from my last one.
Good Luck

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Wow is about all I can say to that. That is one of the worst things I have heard in a long time. You have that hole right in the middle of your stomach, making you want to puke. Keep your head held high though Hoss, you seem to be good at your job. If you are good at your job in todays world companies will want to keep you. First thing tomorrow morning I would go have a heart to heart with your manager. Tell him just what you are looking for. Then see what he does. If he is a good guy then he will apologize and make it right. If not then go above him. If he did this in the first place he is prolly a chump anyway.

Now onto you stepping on peoples toes. The question is did you get your project done and done right. If so, the company shouldn't care who's toes that you stepped on, you were doing what you thought was best and were making them money in the process, and in the end that is what the company cares about most.

Like I said keep your head up high. Don't let them walk all over you. Go home and tell your wife. Don't be all sad and mopey around her. Tell her that you love and do whatever it is that you all do. Leave the work bull**** just there at work.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
wow

my last two companies had i geuss to many checks and balances
1. if my manager put in a promotion, it had 5 days to come back yes or no, followed by ME going online to the timesheet area and verifying my new rate of pay and commence date or back date if required.
2. IF i didnt see a pay increase by the second pay period I would have been on the horn asking WHY to payroll
3. Do you have a copy of the promotion sheet signed by your manager? if so take it up the chain and ask WHY/WHEN and HOW this was missed?
4. If someone threatens to FIRE because you asked about this promotion that seems to have been dropped on the ground, Go find legal advice for your state.
5. three years is a long time not to check on a pay raise or promotion -popcorn
hope it works out
and above all REMAIN calm for now

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
wow

4. If someone threatens to FIRE because you asked about this promotion that seems to have been dropped on the ground, Go find legal advice for your state.

There isn't anything I can do legally. Employment at will, fire for no cause whatsoever.
5. three years is a long time not to check on a pay raise or promotion -popcorn
Understand that the promotion DID come with a small pay raise that was presented to me as a "trial offer" of sorts to make sure I could do the job. It was supposed to go up. Hence, my *****ing for the last two years about my pay scale. I got an excuse about how all of the employees were sacrificing because it was a bad year, etc. As far as checking into whether i got the promotion or not, I brought it up to the boss a couple times over the three years but was told that everything was fine, that no one paid attention to the computer and what it said, blah blah blah. I'm really stupid and naiive, you know?

:doh:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
that no one paid attention to the computer and what it said, blah blah blah. I'm really stupid and naiive, you know?

no your not
stupid....

at will employee yep they have you over teh bottle a bit... however you have a hr department. use em

again sorry to hear they are taking advantage of your good nature
if it looks bad..then request to see the big guy at the top go vist with all your ducks and ntes and results of your efforts the last three years, and see what happens

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that your wife is your best friend and partner in life. Talk to her and let her know your feelings.
I think WD40 gave you some good advice. I would suggest that you bite your tongue for awhile until you have another offer for your services. If you push your boss or go over his head, you might be unemployed. Not to file your paperwork sounds fishy. This guy might have "forgot" on purpose. If you were single with no children, then you could be more aggressive with him, but your family is your primary concern. Many times over the years I have had days and weeks of being ready to tell my boss's to shove it to were sun does not shine, but after a day or two of cooling off, the problems resolved themselves.
In the long run, you have to do what you need to do, but I would take some time to cool off and then make a decision on what path to take.

Good luck.

advice from a very old guy.

Maxtor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14