New 06 SD 6.0 ?

SHW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am looking a new 6.0 crew cab 4X4 & it has dual alternators & 20 Inch tires. What drawbacks & advantages do each have? Do the 20 inch tires ride better or get better mileage?

I will be doing very little towing with the truck, at least nothing that a 1/2 ton couldn't handle. The dual alternators seem like overkill to me. I also have read that the second alternator may restrict airflow??? This will be my first diesel. Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The big tires only look good. The rims weigh a ton compared to standard steel wheels and that ups your unsprung weight. That makes the truck ride harsher and chopper. Unsprung wieght is a big no no in the racing industry. The second alternator does restrict the intake airflow a bit, but it is turbocharged and the disadvantage is not very big. I have no numbers.

And welcome to SDD. Stop by often and show us your new truck when you get pics.

Dave :)

Reaction score
Another note to the 20" rims is finding replacement tires. I had a heck of time finding Load E range 18" tires unless I wanted to put the same tires back on. But - I would not let this be a drawback if you like the truck - maybe by the time you need tires the manufactors will have caught up.

As for the dual alts - I have them. You won't notice any problems as far as air flow. And incase later on you want to add electical componets - your set and good to go.

Welcome to SDD :sweet

Ron

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the dual alternators, I really feel that it is something more intended for the ambulance or fire/rescue units...most people will never need that much alternator. With the single alternator, you have 130 amp rating...

As for the 20's, mostly looks...gotta keep up with Dodge there since they started that a few years back. I personally don't care for them, but each to their own. The main reason for the larger diameter wheel is having a shorter sidewall on the tire. Less sidewall equals less tire flex when cornering...the same reason the sports cars have shorter tires. They won't get you nay better mileage though. However, the tires are a good bit more expensive...just something to keep in mind.

SHW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealership today & the truck was SOLD last night. This is the second truck that I have found & went back & it was sold. They have a couple on order & one was far enough out that I could pick out what I wanted on it. They didn't want to make the deal today as the truck will not be here until late April. They said the rebates will probably be the same, but COULD get better? I am trading in a 2004 Chevrolet 1500 Crew Cab Z71. The trade may have been the reason why they didn't want to do the deal before their truck gets here. They promised me first right of refusal on the truck. I am not obligated to buy the truck. Does this sound right or could they do the deal today?

White with Arizona beige secondary
Crew Cab Lariat
Capt Chairs (heated)
Engine block heater
all weather mats
FX4
Power slider
275/65/20
reverse sensor
3.73 limited slip
tubular steps
body mould
ESOF
Trailer hitch
heavy duty alt.
Stab package
tow mirrors

I thinks that's it.

Last edited:

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 18s on mine.. i replaced the cheap tires that came with them when i bought truck... i run bfg all terrains.. they ran me about 270 tire... that was at cost from friend.. from any dealer it was around 320 a tire, not sure how much a 20inch tire is gonna cost.. but i would think alot more, but they do look cool if you dont mind forkin over the money

HOTVET67

06 F350 LOADED
Reaction score
06 WITH 20" WHEELS

Hello , new member here, My o6 has the 20 " factory chrome wheels with the Goodyears, I'm saving up now to replace them $$$, the way I like to drive, it get's 13mpg in the tow haul mode not towing, best yet is 16mpg pulling 4 snowmobiles with tow haul off.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20's... wow... big money. If you're using it as a car with a lot more capacity, dude, seriously go with the 17's. They are way cheaper than the 18's or 20's. My '06 with the 17's rides fantastic. I like it better on a trip than my Lincoln LS!

If you've got the money to burn, then get whatever you like, but the fact that you're asking the question makes me think that you're thinking... and that is good.

Dual Alternators? Yep.. screws with air flow. I have them on mine for a project and I swear to God it looks like someone from the maintenance department installed the damn thing. The tube from the turbo to the intercooler is now crushed triangularly. I'll try to get a picture of it pretty soon. Does it really effect performance? Dunno, runs strong. I will be farting around under there and I'll see if I can't get that tube re-routed and more consistantly sized. Oh yeah, it also takes a second serpentine belt. It's a smaller one, but a second belt none the less.

:dunno

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking to buy a set of 17s just to put mud tires one.. then use the 18s in summer, with some tires made for road... that would be a way a person could go.. prob pay for the wheels after few sets of tires.. not sure, just idea i was thinkin about for myself

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14

Latest posts