New 6.4 PSD outpulls 6.6 Duramax/5.9 Cummins

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Nice to see the 6.4 working and also nice to hear the powerstroke running in the background of the video. I was just thinking today about the daramax not getting any major engine mods this year. The emmissions are going to kill that duramax compared to a specifically emmissions built 6.4 powerstroke and 6.7 cummins

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
I didnt like the way the Ford looked vs the Dodge. The trialer hitch coupler looked awfully low to the ground. Almost looks like he drug it in that first dip and then at the end, but it could of been the similar color of the truck and the tongue.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to say it but what about the cummins 6.7?:eek: That is what we need to really see. Who is going to win that one? We are not compairing apples to apples here.

But I do have to say ....BOOOYAAAHH

If we thought the Duramax and the Cummins were powerhouse....the 6.4 might have itself a real market gain...cough when the price comes down 20K and or I find a wrecked one :)

Here is the last real important question. Is our younger more computer inclined generation going to be able to derive ways to overcome all the power robbing electronics and fab up ways to bring its true potential out.

But I do see some easy upgrades comming for it soon.

Obviously it would be interesting to see what the DP looks like and if with a power module we can gut the cat and open up I think a couple bigger better turbos and some injectors and we are going to see some WHOOOOPASSSS going on. Give us a chance at the Dyno's.

Or is this truck doing so well becuase they are already doing those things that we would do to overcome the emissions.

HMMMMM good questions and hopefully we find out soon. But so far Hot damn Ford has really got something.:thumbs

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the best way to get power is to take that soot trap cat thing off, it starts at the last turbo and ends under the passenger seat frame. That alone has to be worth something. From what I learned talking to a detroit diesel engineer, the engine is probably tuned back the way they used to be when they ran good and made smoke, but the filter is doing all the work to clean that out. I'd be curious to see a dyno of the truck with and without the exhaust on it.

USATRUCK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They put a F450 with 4:88 gears up against a 5.9 Dodge and a 2006 GM but they don't say which engine the GM had, was it the 310hp or the 360hp 2006. Try putting 4.88s in all three and then compare them. Even the Ford guys in the video say their truck tops out at 81 mph. At a recent dyno event Ford showed up with a 6.4 "press truck" that dyno'd 630 lbft at the rear wheels. That would mean the truck was making almost 800 lbft at the crank. They got some boos for that one.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to say it but what about the cummins 6.7? That is what we need to really see. Who is going to win that one? We are not compairing apples to apples here.

Not to argue, but imo they were comparing apples to apples here. This test was a demonstration of the best of what was available at THAT time. The 2008 F450 was debuted and available for purchase, and was put up against the best suited 07 GM/Cummins available at that time for this test. However, I would love to see what the 6.7 brings to the table.

They put a F450 with 4:88 gears up against a 5.9 Dodge and a 2006 GM but they don't say which engine the GM had, was it the 310hp or the 360hp 2006. Try putting 4.88s in all three and then compare them. Even the Ford guys in the video say their truck tops out at 81 mph. At a recent dyno event Ford showed up with a 6.4 "press truck" that dyno'd 630 lbft at the rear wheels. That would mean the truck was making almost 800 lbft at the crank. They got some boos for that one.

It was an 07 GM and an 07 Cummins.

If GM wants to put 3.73's in their premier towing rig (Dually 3500) then that is their problem, not Ford's or this testee's'. Similar with the cummins, but in this case I believe it had 4.10's. I would agree that the Ford has a slight advantage in gearing, however the F450 weighs CONSIDERABLY more then the GM and Dodge and also has more emission restrictions in place that the other engines do not. So it's starting off with a deficit in these 2 areas.

As for the Presstruck, what were the boo's about? With Dyno #'s like that, sounds like Ford is de-rating their advertised Tq #'s to me. I also have that 6.4 Dyno video if anyone would like to see it.

After stating all of this, let me also add this to stir things up - the test was conducted by Ford - who knows if either the GM/Dodge were fairly "driven" or not.

USATRUCK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the Dodge, but the Chevy in the video has the first quarter 2006 and older Duramax Diesel badge which means it had the 310hp engine. The later 2006 and 2007 trucks with the 360/650 Duramax got the badge that reads Duramax/Allison.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58