New 7.3 Y Pipe

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I wonder if there are any issues concerning fit on an early 99. I don't know if the manifold dimensions are the same for early 99 vs 99.5.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen them in Diesel Power. Looks pretty sweet. Was also wondering if it was worth the investment. If anybody installs one, please let us all know what you think.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there are any issues concerning fit on an early 99. I don't know if the manifold dimensions are the same for early 99 vs 99.5.

yes this will be a problem for you with an early '99 your intake plenums are smaller than the late '99s

While this does look nice and trick I hate to say that it is not a new idea. When the intercooled 7.3 first came out Banks was using the air imbalance & poor air flow characteristics of the stock intake spider as a benefit of their intake manifold which just happens to be packaged with their intercooler kit. They employ a slightly different design.

I am curious to see the real benefits of this intake in terms of horsepower, torque, EGT's when compared with the stock component. I can see the benefits with aftermarket turbos however most require new intake designs so that becomes a mute point.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
yes this will be a problem for you with an early '99 your intake plenums are smaller than the late '99s

While this does look nice and trick I hate to say that it is not a new idea. When the intercooled 7.3 first came out Banks was using the air imbalance & poor air flow characteristics of the stock intake spider as a benefit of their intake manifold which just happens to be packaged with their intercooler kit. They employ a slightly different design.

I am curious to see the real benefits of this intake in terms of horsepower, torque, EGT's when compared with the stock component. I can see the benefits with aftermarket turbos however most require new intake designs so that becomes a mute point.

My only issue will be the part that attaches to the turbo. The "Y" portion that takes the air from the intercooler and feeds it into the intake covers doesn't apply in my case. I took the early 99 intake covers off and put on 99.5 intake covers with the bigger inlet size.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ford did the same thing in the 99.5 trucks and kept it till early 03 when they stopped making the 7.3..only its molded into one ..but its just as smooth.. the way the 7.3 turbo is set up it does not have time too heat the air in the spider..all this thing is good for on our truck is the looks..nothing else...if there was big gains with this thing they would post spec's and dyno runs on it..can you find any spec's or dyno runs with this on a 7.3??? many of us tried..we can only find it on the 6.0 and 6.4..it didnt cost them any extra to build a few more of them for the 7.3 in hopes some sucker will pay the 500 bucks for one....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58