New chip is killing it...

strokin'

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well as the title said I just put in my new chip from Jody at DP Tuner and the stock and 40hp tow work fine but when I put it into either the 80hp econo or the 120hp it immidiately shuts the engine off and check engine lite comes on. Please let me know whats wrong its killin' me. -mad

Reaction score
strokin' said:
Well as the title said I just put in my new chip from Jody at DP Tuner and the stock and 40hp tow work fine but when I put it into either the 80hp econo or the 120hp it immidiately shuts the engine off and check engine lite comes on. Please let me know whats wrong its killin' me. -mad

Is this the first time you have ever had a chip in? If so then you need to make sure that your contacts are clean - on both sides of the terminals. Not to the point of seeing silver - but no coating on them.

If you have installed one before and it worked fine - then you need to pull the chip and get a hold of Jody to send it back. Even the best of them can have a problem chip every now and then.

On edit: It could also be the switch - I know I had a bad one and I have read/heard of a whole handful of other people that have had switch problems.

Ron

Last edited:

strokin'

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It is at idle, I haven't even tried on the fly, I don't really think that'd be fun. I haven't had a chip in it, but I did clean the contacts really really good. I'm sure if it is the chip Jody will take care of me. I can't say enough about how easy it was to deal with him, I ordered it Thursday morning and it was at my house Friday afternoon.

Reaction score
strokin' said:
It is at idle, I haven't even tried on the fly, I don't really think that'd be fun. I haven't had a chip in it, but I did clean the contacts really really good. I'm sure if it is the chip Jody will take care of me. I can't say enough about how easy it was to deal with him, I ordered it Thursday morning and it was at my house Friday afternoon.

Not even a doubt about whether he will take care of you - not a problem there.

Again - just to say it cause some guys don't do it - but there are two sides to the contacts and both sides have to be cleaned. So just checking.

Try this - with the truck turned off - put the switch in the 80 or 120 mode and then try to start the truck. If it starts then it's the switch no doubt. If it doesn't then it's either or.

Ron

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Almost sounds like the TC is locking up? Can you feel any engagement of the tranny when you switch the position? At any rate, I do think a call to Jody is in order.

strokin'

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ron, understandable, but yes I did clean both sides very well. No I don't think its the TC, I'm pretty sure its the chip, it just cuts off as soon as I turn the knob. I emailed Jody, but I'm sure he won't get it until Monday, I'll give him a call he seemed like a real stand up guy. Plus, he's only an hour or two north of me so I could always go bother him.:guns: :D

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jody seems like a great guy from what we've talked and I have heard. If it were me I'd just run the truck down the road to him. He can program it on his labtop why you guys drive around and test/tune to see what needs to be modded. I'd like to go up their that way he could burn a chip fopr my truck and test/tune to make sure everything is in spec.

Reaction score
strokin' said:
Ron, understandable, but yes I did clean both sides very well.

:sweet

I emailed Jody, but I'm sure he won't get it until Monday, I'll give him a call he seemed like a real stand up guy. Plus, he's only an hour or two north of me so I could always go bother him.:guns: :D

Did you try putting it in the 80 or 120 and then starting the truck? Jody will need to know that incase it is a switch problem.

Good luck with it all and let us know what it turns out to be.

Ron

strokin'

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yup, I took the truck out and tried that, but the starter just cranked away. I'm going to be going right through Asheville this weekend so I'll see if I can just stop in on him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14