New diesel owner

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
This is my first diesel truck and I have been reading alot. I have about 97K miles on it and everything looks stock. I bought it with 96K miles on it. I am wondering if i should keep it stock or if it would be ok to start doing upgrades to it? There are no signs of it having a fith wheel ever hooked up. I have read alot that the head gasket blows in these and something about the egr? Is this from dogging it all the time or something that just happens to the 6.0's? I have never got a straight answer out of anyone but I hear a 100K is just breaking in a diesel? Is this true? Sorry so many questions and so long but like I said I am new to all this i am used to gas engines:) Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
I forgot to say what I wanted to do. I am not looking to go insane with mods but something to wake it up like maybe an sct programmer and 4" exhaust. I dont tow anything this is pretty much going to be my daily I know some people think why such a big truck for a daily driver but I just love the way they look over f150's and I just love the sound of diesel and the performance possibilities:) Also with 100K coming up am I lookin at anything failing or needing replaced?

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could go to a Ford dealer and ask them to print you out the OASIS report on your truck...might be able to find a tech on one of the diesel web sites that would be willing as well. That will tell you what work was done on your truck at Ford garages. Obviously, work done elsewhere would not show up, but since the engine is warrantied to 100K, it would most likely be there if there is anything.

Depending on how the PO used it, I'd say it was probably around 40-50k when it was broke in. But, as long as it was maintained properly and not abused, there still should be many more miles of use left in it.

If you want to mod it, just remember that as with most all other things mechanical, the more you ask of it, the better the chances of failure. About the only mod that doesn't apply here is a good exhaust. The engine warranty is just about gone, if it isn't already, so either way, if something happens, it's going to be your dime to repair it.

Head gaskets are a popular repair, but it depends on the truck. Some seem to hold up great, some are just cursed it seems. If the head gaskets do let go, take the opportunity to upgrade to head studs. Most of the reading that I have done says that studs alone with factory replacement gaskets are good to around 450-500 hp. I know mine isn't that high, and probably will never be, but I'll say that for nearly 8,000 pounds of truck, she sure scoots.

Another thing seems to be with the vanes in the turbo sticking. Just as long as it is drivin regularly and every now and again mash the throttle, you should have no problems.

EGR is also a common issue. One of the nice things about the SCT with custom tunes is the EGR can be dissabled, which allows for removal. That will most likely be happening to mine before too long.

Anyway, mine is my DD...I love driving it. I got a stupid grin the first time I saw it, I liked it even better after I fired it up for the first time. Yes, it's big, but for it's size and capabilities, it does get decent mileage in my opinion. Plus, I still like the way she looks and it fits me very well.

I put an MBRP system on it fairly soon after I bought it. I debated for a while on the tuner, but I finally went ahead with a custom tuned SCT. I don't flog the truck all of the times, but it is hard not to sometimes. It really made the truck completely different to drive. Yes, I was conscerned about the engine...and I still do watch it...but so far it hasn't missed a beat. I've never had the first issue with the engine. (KNOCKING ON WOOD)

MONSTERPLOW

Cloud Booster 500HP
Reaction score
Welcome CC , Im also new here , I got an '06 last march with 32K on it.
I Put 10k on it in 7 months.

Just the other day a souped up jeep got antsy at the light, suffice to say
"I smoked him like a cheap cigar!
Took a while to learn how to "SPOOL HER UP".

Still completely stock except for the Bama Zoodad I tore into the radiatior support.Relatively easy and cheap. Search it here up top of the page or Bama has a link.
Her turbo whistles a bunch of decibels higher & she breathes easier.

These guys know their sh*t.

Last edited:

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Yeah....WELCOME!!!!

I was the same as you when I got mine 2 years ago. I have since put a Silverline 4" turbo back exhaust on and I use a BullyDog programmer. I was very nervous about the programmer at first, but I just use the "performance" setting and not the "insane" setting. It really does wake up the 6.0.

I am with groundhawg.....I LOVE IT!!! I have that same stupid grin on my face every time I drive it. I get between 13-16 driving it and as groundhawg said....for an almost 8k lb truck....that is as good as my wifes Jeep Commader with the 5.7L!! I haven't had any major issues either. Normal wear and tear stuff is all I have replaced.

Drive it......but take care of it.....and you will have a truck for a long time!!

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys!! I will have to look into trying to get an OASIS report for my truck. Whats the average life of these trucks? I hear about 300K?
but since the engine is warrantied to 100K, it would most likely be there if there is anything.
Would I be able to take it to a ford dealer and have them give it an overall check since the warranty is about to be up or does there have to be something wrong? If they wont do you think it would be worth having them check everything before I do the mods or just say screw it and go with it and if something breaks then go about replacing?

Yea I dont know what it is but I get that same grin when I drive this thing I just love it:D

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd drive it for a while as is...get the feel for it and see how it runs. Unless it is not running properly currently, I doubt taking it to Ford would do much other than cost you. See what you like and don't like, then go from there.

I'd start off with a new exhaust, then add some guages, then worry about a tuner.

Do some reading about the different tuners before you drop the cash though. If you're lucky, you might find what you are looking for used too, just make sure you know what you are getting.

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
I have a stupid question. Like I said before this is my first full size and was wondering also since these are straight axles should the front end make noise going over bumps? Like a clanking noise? Its not real loud and I cant remember if it has done it since I got it but I just started noticing it.

atk

Reaction score
check your front sway bar bushing and sway bar end links. i am on my third set for the front sway bar bushing`s(only had the truck a little over 2 years)....hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14