New engine oil change intervals?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to extend the oil service beyond 5k, you should consider oil analysis. Do it on "old" oil before a change and see what the lab analysis says. Blackstone is what I have used regularly for years. I think 10k is not much of a problem if you do a lot of easy running down the hiway...but I always revert back to 5k or less when I do a lot of stop and go and short hauls. But that's just me. I figure oil is cheap and I like clean oil on the dipstick. I think it's a nice sight!

The oil analysis can also give you a heads-up on wear, coolant leak, excess fuel, and other stuff. Just my 2 cents...

edit-> just got my last analysis back and found this article from blackstone regarding extending oil change

Last edited:

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is true ,,
but the cost of an complete analysis is $30
an oil change with all good stuff is $100

however the other items the oil analysis can find other than oil life is probably worth the cost

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Im gonna keep changin it at 5k as usual. Just curious on what everyone else thinks. After owning my diesel for almost a yr, I cant belive I didnt have a diesel a long time ago. Sucks diesel is higher but I get better mileage out of it than my old gassers.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well Mobile 1 fully synthetic is fully guaranteed for 15 thousand miles for gas powered, I cant answer for diesel as I am all new to it. I cant imagine the same technology could be applied with slightly less life due to extreme duty.

check that..
Mobil discontinued it's extended life oil a couple years ago..

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the only extended interval oil that I'm aware of is the new GM Dexos. And the gasser oil is different than the diesel oil.

nuger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Coming from England where we change our oil once a year or 12000 miles & then learning that over here its recommended every 3000 miles blew me away. way over the top, I change mine once a year, about 12000 miles with fully synthetic. I also run the truck on 2/3 wvo & 1 part diesel for over 2 years with no problems.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whole lot easier for a po' boy like me to come up with oil change $$ than new engine $$ :D

Fine69

Reaction score
I change my 6.4 every 3000! My truck sits a lot as I have a Company truck for work. The fact that it sits so much and still has the DPF, makes me feel VERY comfortable with changing every 3000. I use Motorcraft oil and filters. I also use Blackstone labs to test every oil change, and I've yet to have any fuel dilution.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed my oil at the beginning of summer and winter and I drive about 20K a year. Most of my mileage is 20 miles up the highway and back so 10K seems about right to me. Now if I started pulling heavy loads regularly or doing more city driving I would step up to 5000 or 7500. I've lost 1 injector in 80,000 miles so knock on wood there.

On a side note, I do know a 98 GM 2.8L will go 72,000 before locking up on the factory oil. And since it would have been lucky to make it to twice that with regular oil changes i'm guessing it's not as critical at 3k or 5k as some make it out to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14