New Ford SD Owner

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
I finally took the plunge with a 2006 SD Lariat. It's my first Ford and my first Diesel ever. Driving the thing is great. It's high, it drives well and in the SuperCab version isn't so long that it can't get around town. The only bad thing that I can think of is boy is that engine ever LOUD! Until it warms up, it's brutal. I've been babying it until it's at full heat.

Now for a question. I'm from the south, but will be operating in the cold northern climates as well. Any advice for a newbie on fuel, anti-gel, block heater usage, cold weather starting. All advice will be appreciated.

ShraderMan

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Read your Owners Manual and you will find all of the answers to your questions. Don't baby your new truck, drive it normally and get on it every once in a while.

Dave :D

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck there Shraderman! :thumbs

On the cold nights I plug in the Block heater or Oil preheater which greatly helps reduce the "noisy" engine effect when starting it up in the mornings.

Depending on which state you're located you may or may not have the block heater cord installed from the factory.

Add your city/state to the location line in your profile so we know where you're at:sweet

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
As my niece, a rookie firefighter and EMT was told when she asked her chief for advice about taking out the new EMT bus (an International diesel, BTW) :

"Drive it like you stole it!"

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck!! As said before, most info can be found in the owners manual. Get diesel from a place that gets a lot og buisness. For anti-gel, I like to use Stanadyne. I leave my truck plugged in whenever I am not using it. Use the anti-gel in the winter to assure no jelly for fuel. And, enjoy your new truck :)

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride. Lots of good info on this site. I say drive it and put it through the paces and then try to wipe the smile off your face:D :D :D :D :D :D

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Welcome..

For anti-gel use Howes, Shaffer's or Motorcraft. Stay away from PowerService. Plug in when below 20 degrees or so. It depends on just how far North you are going on what fuel to use. Blended is fine for most places but up here we use #1.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
absolutley love mine
finally learned how to drive it and man is it fun

only thing that bothers me, is empty at 80 she feels a little light out back:D

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I reside in North Alabama, but am temporarily stationed in Canada. I knew that the fuel used in the South wasn't fully winterized. I picked up some Motorcraft Anti-Gel/Cetane Boost which I will add on the way back up next week. I realize that purchasing fuel up north should have this but a friend up there tried to fill his up last week and the station pump wouldn't even pump it! I told him to change his fueling station.

Anyway, looking forward to chatting and exploring the new ride. Major mods are likely some time away as there's the warranty and the truck's not even broken in yet!

ShraderMan:thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg