New from South Carolina

nfa1eab

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Planning to start some traveling with a Toy Hauler and Road King so I traded my beloved F150 :( on a 2015 F250 SD. Love the new truck.
Looking for suggestions for a fifth wheel hitch and mount. Did not get the Ford Prep. Should I get the Ford prep or is there a better alternative. Looking at a slider due to short box. Looking at 13-14K total in a fifth wheel TH. Will I need air bags too?

20150128_145117.jpg

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome nfa1eab. Glad you found us. You might check the sticker on the driver's door post for weights you can legally haul with your current set-up. If too light, you can add air bags.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said and.. Welcome Aboard ;tu ;tu

Air Bags or Not ? It will all depend on the Pin weight, and the total weight of yer Toy Hauler.. LOADED. Look at how it sets, the first time you hook it up for a trip.

Best thing to do would be to get the Whole "Rig" combination weighed at a truck scale ? Again.. LOADED for a trip.. Full tank(s) all yer gear/toys and grub ? Compare that to your door sticker.. Go from There ?

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Joe & Dave told you is dead on. You ask about a sliding fifth-wheel, and that the reason I would never buy a short bed truck to pull my fifth-wheel.
That's a great looking truck, do you have your RV yet, I see where your wanting to stay around 13 to 14 and that's good numbers for your F-250.
Do you know what gears are in the rear-end of your new truck. Welcome and ask away Joe and I alone have about 50 years of pulling fifth-wheels.
Doug

nfa1eab

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Guys,
Thanks for all the input. The truck has 3.55 electronic locker and 10,000 gvwr. I drove a longer wheelbase and it seemed pretty difficult for everyday driving and parking,hence, I got the short bed. I talked to a local company about hitches the other day. None of the Ford dealers around here install the Ford prep kit. The local guy said the Ford kit requires the bed to be removed to install. He suggested the B&W turnover ball mount and the Companion slider hitch for my truck. Around $2,100 installed. Seemed like a decent guy that new what he was talking about. Said he could do Ford prep kit, but was more labor to install. Truck came with plastic bed liner, assume this has to go for the fifth wheel to work. Have seen high opinions on the B&W stuff on here, just wasn't sure whether the Ford prep kit was worth it over the B&W turnover ball mount.
Ed

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say Companion, but I didn't know that they had a slider hitch for your truck.
If he knows what he's doing, that might be the best way to go. I know there not cheap anymore.
You might check the price at another shop or two.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the short bed I would look at the superglide 16K. It will move the trailer back when you start making turns. Air bags are a good plus to add on. They will help adjust the load and give a better ride.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull that plastic bed liner out and get a good sprayed in liner before you put the hitch in.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull that plastic bed liner out and get a good sprayed in liner before you put the hitch in.
Doug

X2... Fer Shur !! Those plastic liners are nothing but a PIA, in the Long Run. Not to mention the damage (rust/corrosion) they can do to the bed area.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14