New gauges!

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Just got my gauges. Got the Autometer triple gauge set in the ultra lite series. Looks awesome. Hopefully i will have them installed over the weekend. I did notice a prob. Dont know if you guys have ran into this. I noticed my pyro gauge is reading 650degrees and I just unboxed it. Is this normal or do I have a faulty gauge?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I talked to autometer and the tech said that once you power up the gauge it will recalibrate itself back to zero or close to it. Seems like these pyro gauges dont go back to zero but to 100 or 200 degrees when its totally cooled off. Any words of wisdom on installing. Im gonna read the directions alot.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Definately will! Right now Im goin over all the instructions and unpacking everything. Keepin everything in order. They come with EVERYTHING. Really nice kit so far. The autometer tech also said make sure you ground all the wires from the gauges to the ENGINE BLOCK. They've been havin probs with other installs where the gauges were grounded under the dash using the original Ford grounds. The gauges would give weird and eratic readings. Also use good wire to do this like 16gauge wire.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Alrighty! Got them in late last night. Pretty easy install with basic tools. On autometers web site they have a how to install on puttin a triple gauge pod in a 7.3 diesel. It helped alot. On their site it says it comes with a add a circuit kit to put in your fuse box. Well it doesnt so you will have to get an add a circuit kit for the tiny atc fuses or whatever the miniature flat fuses are called. Parts America was the only place I could find that carried this particular kind of add a circuit kit. They called for a 3amp mini fuse to run the 12v switched power but all I had was a 10amp so make sure you have between a 3amp or 10amp fuse. Other than that no other parts were needed. The only pain in the butt thing I ran into was that stupid boost line you give you. I know its not supposed to be a soft line and its definately not. Its so dang hard that it can be easily kinked since its coiled up and holds that coil shape when your working with it. I kinked mine bad so had to cut the bad spot out and splice in a new piece of tygon hose that fits really good. Heres a few misc pics I took while I was puttin this together.

Pic of all the wires you got to do. The tech said use 16gauge wire for your grounds and thats what I used. All the lighting needs one common ground and one common power wire that I grounded to the metal structure of the dash.

2011-02-06153432.jpg

Another pic. All your gauge powers need a common ground and common power wire. The gauge power wire needed to be to a switched 12v source. Thats where the add a circuit comes in. The common ground I ran and grounded to the motor on a already there ground cable near the fuel bowl on the drivers side next to the valve cover. Just FYI, when you put the add a circuit in your fuse box under the dash, you WONT be able to fit the fuse box cover back on. Really sucks. But the main cover over the bottom dash will.

2011-02-06153446.jpg

Only one mod I did to make the new pod fit to your existing pod was I cut a litte notch in it so the wires and boost tube would fit through. If I didnt it wouldnt let the pods fit together tight.

2011-02-06165938.jpg

Here is the splice I did so the gauge lights would come on. This is the power wire for the gauge lights and the power wire for the headlights. There is a blue with red stripe wire on the smaller connection. I just spliced into it by soldering it. I soldered ALL my wires by the way on this build.

2011-02-06181013.jpg

Pic of the final product at night. Hard to see them lighted up. They give you 2 bulb caps, greens and reds. I choose green since its my favorite color :D.

2011-02-06223256.jpg

Pic with my flash on. Still crappy lookin. I can take pics later of it in the day time. I love these gauges. One of the best things I've done to my truck. They will help me keep my truck runnin for a long time to come. I will get some more later. If anyone needs any pics of a particular spot let me know.

2011-02-06223234.jpg

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks Good :sweet Nice work.

To late now but.. if you ever need to work with that boost line tubing again.. soak it in some hot, tap water.. just before you start, [but when yer ready].. to route it. Makes it alot easier to work with. Gota work kinda fast but..

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Looks Good :sweet Nice work.

To late now but.. if you ever need to work with that boost line tubing again.. soak it in some hot, tap water.. just before you start, [but when yer ready].. to route it. Makes it alot easier to work with. Gota work kinda fast but..

Joe

Never thought of that. I will remember that next time. I just zip tied the crap out of it! I showed that tubing whos boss!:guns:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
When I save some more money I want to get a few more gauges. Damn expensive though but well worth it. Plus saves ya from rebuilding the engine. What gauges you gonna get?

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to get the glowshift package off of ebay. The only negative reviews I read were on appearance. Since Im not building a race truck I just want to monitor my temps and boost.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg