New guy in MA

mjd4277

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,I'm Marques.

I'm currently an owner of a 2003 F-150 XL Reg. cab/longbed 2WD with a 4.2L Essex V6 and a 5-spd manual. I've been think about upgrading to a 2008-2010 F-250 or F-350 Super Duty since those have more capability. The model I'm looking for is either a regular cab or extended cab,a longbed(short beds are acceptable though) the PowerStroke diesel engine and the 6-spd manual transmission. So far I've found quite a few good examples on AutoTrader.com and Cars.com for decent prices(anywhere from $21K to $40K for low mileage examples,most of which are still under Ford's new car warranty). Are there any issues/vices with the Super Dutys of this vintage I should watch out for(powertrain/mechanical)? I'm thinking about going with a truck with the manual 4WD instead of the electronic shift-on-the-fly version,since those are a little cheaper to maintain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:cool:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend the Manual Transfer case over the SOTF (Shift On The Fly) Auto four wheel drive unit. I have had the manual shift transfer case on all four of my Ford F-250 and F-350 trucks, and my Jeep. Oh and :welcome4 mjd277.

Dave :)

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!!! I believe I'd rather have the manual transfer case also, although it seems that the manual transfer cases, along with manual transmissions are slowly going the way of the dinosaur and the dodo bird.

mjd4277

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!!! I believe I'd rather have the manual transfer case also, although it seems that the manual transfer cases, along with manual transmissions are slowly going the way of the dinosaur and the dodo bird.
Tell me about it. Ford announced that after 2010 model year the Super Duty would no longer be available with a manual transmission,which is why I'm looking at the 2008-2010 generation models. They look the best and some are still under new car warranty.

Last edited:

mjd4277

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well guys,I've narrowed it down to 3-4 choices. All of them have the diesel engine,6-spd manual transmission,4WD(floormounted manual shift version)and they're all SuperCabs.

One is located in West Virginia,this one is still under new vehicle warranty-only 7,000 miles!:sweet The only con is a radio swap is necessary(only AM/FM radio).
2010 Ford F250 XL, $31,997 - Cars.com

Another is located in New York,this one has 28,800 miles,fog lights,bug deflector,a bed mat and a 6-disc CD changer!:sweet
2008 Ford F350 Super Duty, $30,555 - Cars.com

Last and not least is this Florida located example. 40,000 miles,fog lights,tonneau cover and it's the lowest priced of the bunch-around $27K. The only con-well it's in Florida-road trip anyone?? LOL
2008 Ford F250 XL, $26,999 - Cars.com

As a "quarterback option" I also put this one on the list as well. Like the 2nd truck,this one is also located in New York-at the same dealer no less. 42,900 miles,maroon color(which I really like) and a utility hopcap(which I could live without actually). The only con is it has the electronic shift-on-the-fly 4WD system,but it's a nice looking truck nonetheless.
2008 Ford F350 Super Duty, $28,888 - Cars.com

So,what do you guys think?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14