New guy looking to buy an SD, what to lok out for?

Powersledder

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade to a newer/bigger truck, been looking at SD's with the 7.3PS engine. But what kind of things do I need to look out for? Now I know every truck is different and they don't all "act" the same but I'm loking for some ballpark figures and generalizations with some of the random things to look out for.

How do the suspensions hold up? Bearings, tie rods, steering etc etc
How long do the engine components usually last?
How do they hold up to rust?

In specific, one truck I'm looking at;
2000 F-250 7.3L PS
4x4 automatic
XLT
Power everything
cloth interior
Extended cab, 4 door
std box (or short box?)
3/4 ton
239*** miles
$7000

Does that look like a good deal?

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 7K that don't sound too bad - Even though the 7.3 is rugged, 239K is on the higher side for mileage - are you going to use this truck as just a daily driver or is it going to be a work truck? If it is anything like here in MA they use alot of salt on the roads in the winter which will rot out your truck regardless if you don't clean it off. Are service records available? With the leaf spring front the ride is kinda rough and the turning radius is kinda weak - Improved on 05 and up models.

Last edited:

Powersledder

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So is there anything in particular I should e worried about at that kind of mileage or does everything just start to fall apart one piece at a time?

Powersledder

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
^^^I suppose injector replacement on a 7.3 wouldn't be as easy as replacing injectors on an common rail gas engine would it?

For 7K that don't sound too bad - Even though the 7.3 is rugged, 239K is on the higher side for mileage - are you going to use this truck as a just a daily driver or is it going to be a work truck? If it is anything like here in MA they use alot of salt on the roads in the winter which will rot out your truck regardless if you don't clean it off. Are service records available? With the leaf spring front the ride is kinda rough and the turning radius is kinda weak - Improved on 05 and up models.

It would be a DD, and yes around here and where I drive they like to use salt a lot. Its at a dealer so I'd image they have some sort of service records for it.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
All Ford service/repair records are available on the Oasis Report for all Ford vehicles. Just supply the VIN to your dealer and he can get the report.

Dave

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that's only for DEALER service. If the truck has been maintained/worked on by independent shops it isn't going to show up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14