New guy... no diesel..... yet.

Jack10

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ideally I would be looking for a crew cab, 4x4 short bed. That way it will fit in my garage and have all the room up front that i need. Plus as you said previously Doug, living in Alberta a 4x4 is a must.

I would prefer to find something 06 and newer. A friend of mine has an 06 with the 6.0L, I love that body style and heard that Ford got some bugs worked out of the 04-05 6L's.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Ideally I would be looking for a crew cab, 4x4 short bed. That way it will fit in my garage and have all the room up front that i need. Plus as you said previously Doug, living in Alberta a 4x4 is a must.

I would prefer to find something 06 and newer. A friend of mine has an 06 with the 6.0L, I love that body style and heard that Ford got some bugs worked out of the 04-05 6L's.

I've heard good things on the 6.4's and 6.7's. If you get a 6.0 make sure the headstuds and egr are done. Other than that its a sweet motor. Look into the Kawasaki Teryx side by side. Cant beat the vtwin motors. Go to Kawasaki.com. We sell them and the next thing I buy is one of them. :sweet

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
From the brief details in that ad, it looks pretty good. Low miles is good. Just be satisfied with your deal. The turbo work sets an alarm with me. What did they do? When did they do it? How does it run, from a cold start to warm? Check it out carefully. Good Luck!!

Dave :)

Jack10

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well i went and test drove the truck last night... for starters, it already had an aftermarket exhaust and intake which set off an alarm for me. Im going to assume it had a tuner which i dont know that i liked. I hear the word tuner and all i can see is someone beating on this truck. The batteries were dead which i guess if its been sitting for a while, but the sales guy did say someone else was looking at it.

Once we got it boosted, it seemed to start fine. It did have a puff of smoke at start up but seemed to idle fine. Driving it was good too. Im not used to driving diesels, but there was no power til about 2000 RPM, is that normal? Suspension seemed tight, but there was a little play in the steering. Other than the holes in the bed from a 5th wheel hitch and the odd scratch here and there... this truck was in great shape. Never smoked in, no rips or tears in the leather... very clean. Im going to find and drive a few more before i pull the trigger... I can get pretty picky when it comes to this sorta thing.

So is the no power thing normal til about 2000 rpm? Should the aftermarket exhaust and intake raise any alarms?
thanks everyone.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket exhaust would be no big deal for me. You said the batteries were dead
and had to be jummped to start. These trucks have to have good, and hot batteries.
It looks to be a nice looking truck, is it at a Ford dealer?
Doug

Jack10

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes it was at a Ford dealer. From what he said, the guy traded it in on a new truck. Im just worried that it had a tuner on it and was beat on a bit. Is there a way to tell if it did have a tuner?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
A bad alternator will stop charging the batteries, and cause a no start. What type of intake? Sounds like the previous owner wanted the best mileage out of this towing truck and did all the tricks to better the mileage. It had a tuner, I would bet. The stock air filter is good for 500 hp. They are replaced, not knowing this, by someone trying to sell parts. It all is a $$ grabbing deal.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14