New Guy, Over heating problem

richallen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Great forum you have!

OK, my brother and I both bought 2008 super duty's for towing toys and work. About a month ago my clutch fan started coming on in the morning (on the way to work), it didn't matter if it was cold or not. I figured out it was coolant, I filled it up and instantly fixed the problem. About every month I need to add coolant.

Now my brothers truck is over heating. Towing a jeep and hauling a camper his truck got hot enough to make him pull over.

It took 2-1/2 gal of water to fill the reservoir back up.

What is the deal? Is there a prob. with these cooling systems?

Thanks in advance.

atk

Reaction score
welcome to SDD....anyway, i think there is problem with both trucks if you adding coolant. , shouldn`t need too. as for the 08`s having cooling problems, not that i have herd of. you should be under warranty, take it back....

are these trucks stock?

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Go back to your dealer and get you a new radiator. It's a known problem, actually they will be expecting you. My service writer told me that it's not IF you'll need a new radiatior but WHEN you'll need a new radiator. Mine went at 20,000 miles.

laketime

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Where are these radiators failing. I have 20,000 mile on mine and no problems so far, but I would like to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

richallen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine starting leaking around the return neck. Must be a hairline crack somewhere.

My brother added water to his and it's not overheating. No new truck should be losing water like these do.

In the last 10 years I've had 4 other super duty trucks, none of which ever needed water.

Rich

SiFlyBy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They usually lose water due to poor sealing on the endtanks. I have seen one leak from a rad hose o-ring. If there are no external leaks you may have an EGR cooler leaking. Get them checked out ASAP.

Mustangtoby

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Took mine back about 20,000 miles. The Ford garage said it is a very regular prob, usually leak on the drivers side at the bottom of the radiator.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14