New head bolts and egr delete

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
SO, i take the Beeatch to the Fordman today to check if the HG's are toast.... If so, i'll have them replace them and install the ARP head bolts.... I saw another thread about using an SCT program to inactivate the EGR system. Does the delete still need to be done with this or can the SCT tune take care of the egr problems?......

Can ya'll think of anything else i shoud have done when i'm at the dealer and the cab is ripped off of the frame???????????????????:confused:

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i would still delete the system because i had mine turned off with sct and unplugged and my egr cooler still cracked/or was leaking i think turning if off with a programmer just keeps the valve from opening and closing so it keeps it cleaner

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
yeah go ahead and do the delete.. even though the egr is off in the tune it can still Fluctuate and allow some of the gases to get in...

f_250pstroke02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my :2c but the dealer isn't going to install the egr delete. It's "illegal" and they won't do it because of emissions. But it's worth a shot if you know one of the mechanics.

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
If it's the egr cooler i will pick it up and do the delete.... If it's the head gaskets i guell i'll let them fix it.... DO YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE CAB ON AN 03 TO INSTALL NEW HEADGASKETS? The Fordman says NO! WADDDUP! They say they'll put in the ARP's . :confused:

f_250pstroke02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should do the ARP's as long as you provide them. It seems most Dealers are friendly when it comes to that.

Since you are having HG issue's I take it that you have an 03 6.0 and not a 03 7.3? Either way, I have heard of people doing head studs without taking the cab off, its a PITA process, but I haven't heard of anyone replacing HG's with the cab still on. Not to stay that it can't be done.

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
the service manager at my Ford place said he has more issues with the egr cooler than head gaskets... Mine headgasket is blown ..I am ordering the ARP's and he said he will install them and credit me the 200 bucks or so for the ford bolts....I'll be glad to get them on... Then i am 86ing the Diablosport and going with the SCT....I thinks!

Anyway, it's on its way to getting fixed and then we are going from washington to crater lake to the redwoods to vegas to the grand canyon, what ever is in between there and South Carolina (visit pop), Blue ridge parkway...Wisconsin............Minnesota.... Back to Oroville washington... I hope they fix it gooooooooooooood...........I also have the coolant filter to install when I get it back............WOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
BOTH HEADS ARE CRACKED! OUCH! I'm up to 5k now on this trip to the dealer... They pulled the whole a/c heater system to make room to jank the heads.... They have the ARP's and hopefully the new heads came in yesterday. This truck SUCKS!......:dizzy

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad about the heads. With both of them cracked, I would expect that they have been overheated. I limit my EGT to 1250, some of the programmers don't limit EGT, and you risk this type of damage. Check out the turbo, if it is heat damage, the exhaust side of the turbo may be damaged also. One of the weaknesses of the 4 valve head is they are more prone to cracks compared to the 2 valve heads on the 7.3 for example. Do you monitor EGT?

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
NO i put the cart before the horse there and got run over...I've gone back to the stock tune and will keep it that way until I can get gauges and install them. I would say money is an issued but I would have rather spent 200 bucks on gauges to save 6K.... Lessons learned It overheated a while back. I think the head gasket was blown for a long time.....Just kept pressurizing the coolant system until it finally got bad enough to blow out enough coolant to let her overheat.. It's had this kinda whistle, mostly when you let off of the accelerator....The whistle was coming from the degas cap...:dizzyHopefully I get her back tomorrow and i'll install the coolant filter system. Short of the EGR cooler, she should be fixed for many many miles to come.........I hope...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58