New head studs

bronx94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, can I remove one head bolt a time and replace with ARP's? Heads and gaskets are still good I would like to keep it that way.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would not bet on it. The gaskets are a weak link in these engines and removing the bolts, even one at a time, could cause head gasket failure. Get new gaskets and pull the heads and do it right. It is a job!!

Dave

bronx94

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well thats kinda another thought, crack the bolts, blow the gasket, tighten back to spec, and drop it off at Ford and have warrantey pay for it. I got 10,000 miles left before its over so I would like not to pay for the trouble

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHAT YEAR? The 05 had morre plies than the 03 and 04, if memory serves me correctly.
The problem with one at a time too, is the back are tough to get to. Still may need to raise the cab a bit, or bring motor forward. Imagine doing all that and having it not work?
I it was mine and an 05 or newer I would do studs one at time and hope for the best. I am an idiot, I like wrenching on stuff.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The head bolts go on with the heads off. Then you set the heads down on over the bolts.

I have seen pics of it being done with the engine in, but you have to clear out a lot of stuff to get the heads off.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Well that's kinda another thought, crack the bolts, blow the gasket, tighten back to spec, and drop it off at Ford and have warranty pay for it. I got 10,000 miles left before its over so I would like not to pay for the trouble

I am sure that the manufacture would see that the bolts had been removed and the studs installed, and then say something like 'voided warranty'. Be careful trying to get that kind of stuff past the manufacture.

dpantazis

Reaction score
the oem head bolts are stretch bolts. iirc, 12pt external drive. big flanged head bolt. they only toque to spec ONCE. they

the arp head studs are studs, that get run into the block. they are high grade, hardened, alloy steel that are heat treated and then the threads get ground

they are different fasteners

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
the oem head bolts are stretch bolts. iirc, 12pt external drive. big flanged head bolt. they only toque to spec ONCE. they

the arp head studs are studs, that get run into the block. they are high grade, hardened, alloy steel that are heat treated and then the threads get ground

they are different fasteners
I am sure that the manufacture would see that the bolts had been removed and the studs installed, and then say something like 'voided warranty'. Be careful trying to get that kind of stuff past the manufacture.

Well thats kinda another thought, crack the bolts, blow the gasket, tighten back to spec, and drop it off at Ford and have warrantey pay for it. I got 10,000 miles left before its over so I would like not to pay for the trouble
I am agreeing. The other poster was trying to change out the bolts with re-enforced ones and take it back to the dealer and have them replace the head gaskets (under warranty) after stud replacement.

Last edited:

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of studs being replaced without pulling the cab, as well. If I was going to pull the heads, I would go ahead and spend the money to have the heads O-Ringed. If you want reliability, then you need to do it. Of course, that is just my opinion...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is room to put the heads back on, with studs, without pulling the cab. At least raising it a bunch.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58