new heads, injectors, EGR block.....

lakepir8

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2003 6.0 F250 w/ 184,00mi had been getting 19mpg but had gotten down to 14 within the last year, and it didn't pull good (pulling a boat) taking off sometimes. I could smell diesel smell coming through the vents recently too. In May 2009 the high pressure oil pump quit and it was repaired at a dealership, but it never ran the same. I have never gotten it hot.

Instead of waiting on it to quit again it took it to a diesel repair shop where they are going to block the exhaust gas from the EGR cooler, replace the head bolts with studs, and look at the injectors. They sent the heads off and both heads are cracked, so now I am into this thing for $6500 with new heads from Ford and haven't even looked at the injectors.

I was going to replace all the injectors before I found out about the heads, but it's another $2k for the injectors. It feels like I should have just gotten a new engine.

My question here is, if all the injectors were working, would it still just be pointless to put 184k mi injectors into new heads? Are the injectors performance affected over time, or are they just good or bad? I have looked at a breakdown and they look to be a pass/fail item since the opening is so small.

If anyone has some experience with injectors and new heads, any advice is appreciated.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I had the same injector conundrum with my 7.3 I had 2 bad ones they asked me if I wanted to replace the 2, the 4 on that side or all 8. They do have a lifespan and a rated miles I think my stock injectors were rated for 150,000 miles, the truck had over 200,000. So I opted to replace them all. There are online company's out there where you can get rebuilt injectors for cheaper than factory or auto parts stores. I got all 8 of mine for about $1000, so hopefully another 200,000 miles.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I just was down the same road, replaced one injector that tested bad. Ended up putting the other 7 in because it just didn't run right... I have 8k in mine NOT including my labor... it's a better deal than ANY complete engine, unless you (personally) know who built it... there's a lot of junk out there. 2 grand isn't much to complete the job. Do it right the first time, I wish I would have!

The ONLY 6.0L injectors that I can recommend are Alliant Power, they have an excellent reputation and stand behind their product :sweet

P.S my injectors only had 30k on them, they were in a FORD Reman (garbage) :rant

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58