Noob New member buying a truck this week!

tjmaxx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey all I currently drive a 2005 1500 silverado z71 with a small lift and 33" mud terrains, only other mod is a tuner. I planned to finish modding my truck but decided to look into a diesel. After many hours of looking at autotrader and craigslist I decided on a the Ford super duty over the dodge and gm. Mainly because of looks to be honest, ive always loved the look of Ford super duty trucks.

The truck I plan to purchase this week is a 2006 6.0 power stroke F-250 extended cab. Its all stock with 79,000 miles and I will be buying it for about $20k. This truck is an xlt model with black leather interior, exterior is also black with the black painted bumpers and black grill. Does this seems like a good price for a clean 2006 xlt? kbb put it at about $27k which I think is high.

To be completely honest this truck is overkill for my applications. The only towing I currently do is a 2 place snowmobile trailer (I plan to buy a 3 place enclosed in the future) my current truck would work for my towing needs but after installing the mud terrains it changed the way it tows completely, I used to not even be able to tell I had a trailer behind me but now on the highway it feels like a dog. Theres also a few issues with my truck that I rather not put the money into it since it has 120k miles on it. Over the last few summers I had about a half dozens times where I overloaded the bed of my truck with landscaping stuff for my yard (mulch, dirt, stones) I definitely could have used a f-250 so it will be nice and definitely get worked in the summer months as far as payload.

My only other questions is, with this truck being completely stock and from the oasis report I looked at seems like it has had very little warranty work done to it. What are the first mods I should do? Depending on who I talked to I hear to leave it completely stock and others have said to purchase a tuner and gauges? If so what tuner could I apply that would keep the truck reliable? Im more interested in reliability and mpg than power (this truck will have more than enough power for my applications). My next question is how is the mbrp 4" exhaust system? I really like the sound of their products.

What fuel additives and filters are you guys using?

Thanks for all the help

T.J.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gauges first.. Boost, EGT and Trans temp, to get some Stock, Base Line PSI's and temps as you use the 250 in daily driving and towing.

Then a 4" exhaust.. with a low restriction muffler, and an improved intake set-up. Compare the gauge reading dif's.

Then a Tuner/Programmer that fits what you want and need.

My .03 ?

Joe

(What kind of Warrenty work has been done ?)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were two warranty situations and I know one was the egr replaced in 2011.

Good it was replaced. As you may know by now.. the EGR can be an issue on the 6.0's.

Can you hook me up with some links to good gauges?

1. which gauges.. are a personal choice (?) as to what you like for the style.. Analog~Digital.

How is the best way to do it a gauge pod?

2. Where you mount them is also up to you.. I like my "A" pillar set-up.. easy to scan while driving ?

How is this fuel additive? and would you recommend adding it to the tank every fill up?

3. I've never used the product in your next post. A popular additive here on SDD is "Power Service" (grey jug). available at any Wal-Mart.

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/rbp/fuel-additive.htm

Most all of us are more of a "Help you do it, or how we fixed it" bunch on here. What Brands.. Where.. In the end..It's all Yer Call.

Maybe some of the others will chime in with what they've used.. on their PSD's ? Then.. make Your choices ?

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think Big Joe is 100% correct. The choice of gauges is totally yours. I don't like digital gauges, but it seems you do. Either will work just fine.

Dave :)

tjmaxx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I actually like the look of the gauge pod but I figured for ease of use the digital one would be the best? Do you guys run fuel additives?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I run Power Service (White bottle) every couple of tanks. These trucks don't need a bunch of crap for them to run. They want good regular maintenance (Oil changes and filters) for the best operation. If you run into fungus in the fuel or water then a fuel additive is needed. I don't run anything that is NOT needed. These engines generally don't need anything other than good maintenance. Don't buy cheap fuel or oil filters use Motorcraft filters that you can get at www.filter1.com and other places. Keep asking if you still have questions.

Dave ;tu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58