Noob New member buying a truck this week!

tjmaxx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does $20k seem like a decent price for an 06 extended cab short box xlt with sport package and leather? 79k miles overall good condition.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 just turned 80,000 miles and only been back in the shop a time or two. Living where you live I would get the stainless steal exhaust, 4 in from turbo back. How would a Scan Gage work on your truck. I put one on my truck a few mo back and like it just fine. Good oil and Motorcraft Filters is the life of the 6.0 or any Diesel as far as that goes. Change oil at or around 5000 miles and fuel filters around 10 to 15 k. Keep asking and good luck on your new to you truck. Try to get a Warranty on the truck if you can.
Doug

tjmaxx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Seems like the 6.0 gets such a bad rep. An I making a mistake buying this truck?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the 6.0 gets such a bad rep. An I making a mistake buying this truck?

I'll step up'n say:

The 6.0, like any engine, if properly driven and maintained, is as good an engine, as any.

Ya gota remember, ALL vehicles, drive-trains and engines can have problems of some sort.... ONLY THE ONES, of the Thousands made.. that [have, or had an issue].. are the ones that you (we) will hear about.

The 6.0 diesel engine falls right in line with the above.

'jus my .03.. But the decision is yours to make ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would like to add that you MUST be very careful if you plan on adding performance items, like a programmer or chip. The weak spot with the 6.0 is the head bolts. They are not enough and what we have are not very good. Adding ARP head studs is the solution, but this is not easy or cheap. If you plan on running it close to stock, you will be fine. I have never had a head gasket problem or head bolt problem.

Dave :)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said times X3, my friend has one of the first 03 that came out with a 6.0 and has pulled a big Fifth wheel tavel trailer for 40 or 50.000 miles and been in the shop once in the last 9 years. He drives it hard and fast, and changes the oil and filters.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58