new member intro/seeking diagnostic help

Capt. Lowtide

Parts Changer
Reaction score
spending money!

Well I've swapped out injector #8, a cracked CPS, the IDM, changed IDM fuses/relays and the engine is still running bout the same.

The engine now runs perfect for 5-seconds and then begins running rough, when before it did not begin to have problems until possibly 2-minutes after starting. Previously the throttle would advance the rpms and now the throttle does no good once the engine starts running rough.

Any ideas of where I should be looking before getting it towed to the dealer?:dunno

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've swapped out injector #8, a cracked CPS, the IDM, changed IDM fuses/relays and the engine is still running bout the same.

The engine now runs perfect for 5-seconds and then begins running rough, when before it did not begin to have problems until possibly 2-minutes after starting. Previously the throttle would advance the rpms and now the throttle does no good once the engine starts running rough.

Any ideas of where I should be looking before getting it towed to the dealer?:dunno
You may be getting a code 1212, ICP above desired...I would start looking for a plugged up edge filter....

Capt. Lowtide

Parts Changer
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, haven't had the codes read lately to look for new ones.
Went to the wiki to decifer ICP, but have not seen anything on a plugged up edge filter...what should I be looking for here?

thanks again-Curtiss

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, haven't had the codes read lately to look for new ones.
Went to the wiki to decifer ICP, but have not seen anything on a plugged up edge filter...what should I be looking for here?

thanks again-Curtiss
You are going to have to put this on a scanner & get some real time data,,, other than that its a guess on the codes ,,what you described I have only heard of once before,, If It happens every time , it may be in the filter,,,Get the codes if you can & go from there....

redtrucktim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello to all on this board, glad to see a great family of shared knowledge here that keeps a helping hand out. I've been lurking for quite sometime and have used bits and pieces from this forum to keep my truck running.

Recently my truck went down in an area without adequate/knowledgeable hired help available. I've been stumbling around for quite sometime now trying to find an answer to my problems and finally scored a mechanic with a Matco Decodinator (or some corny name like that) code reader that spit out some trouble codes to check out. The problem that I then had is that the mechanic really did not know any more than I about what or how to read into the results. I quickly lost faith in the hired hands abilities and decided to ask around here to see if I am on the right road or to get some ideas from what you guys think the problem might be.

I have never considered myself a mechanic, just an adequately armed parts changer. Laymen terms are much appreciated and keeping feedback on a 5th grade level may be best for possible information consumption.

Down to the problem:

I was driving the truck and shifting from 2nd to 3rd (manual tranny) and all hell seemed to break loose under the hood, there was knocking and clanging and almost a complete loss of power...I had to ride the clutch in 1st gear just to get it turned around and headed back to a safe parking area.
Immediately after pulling off to the side of the road I popped the hood and narrowed the location of the terrible sounds to be coming from under the passenger side valve cover (this is where cylinders 2-8 are located, correct?)
This is where I became dead in the water, terrible sounds and no power, time for some professional help.

trouble codes
P0476 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Range/Performance
P0266 Cylinder 2 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0272 Cylinder 4 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0278 Cylinder 6 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0284 Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0282 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Low

I assume that the cylinder 2-8 are located under the passenger side valve cover that is making all of the terrible noise. After doing some snooping around and allot of guessing I've decided that the valve cover gasket/wiring harness that the powerstrokes seemed to be problematically plagued with may have something to do with these cylinders misfiring.

Am I thinking correctly? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
if i'm not mistaken here the #2 - #8 injectors are on the driver's side of the engine (left hand side)

Capt. Lowtide

Parts Changer
Reaction score
Thanks redtrucktim, where were you back in 11/07?

That nugget of knowledge would have saved me a huge amount of time and money then, only took 3-months to figure that out on my own :lmao.

Problem ended up being a burned VC gasket, some bare wires in the harness and an idiot doing the diagnostic work (me.)

Thanks again for lending a hand- Curtiss

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58