Newbie New member looking for input

Ford0273

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this looks like a great place for info. I've had my truck for about 5 years and as money permits I upgrade. This is my first diesel, so my knowledge is limited. I have an '02 F-250 4x4 Auto. The only performance mod is a K&N intake and filter I put on just after I bought the truck. I installed a 6 1/2" Pro Comp lift w/ 35" tires a year ago. I have birthday permission for something new, so I'm thinking a Bank's exhaust w/ power elbow is next. Hopefully just after the first of the year I can do a programer. This is where I get lost. I've seen so many ads, how does anyone choose? From what I've seen, I think I like Banks products. If anyone has had problems or praise for Banks, I'd like to hear about it.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most are going to steer you away from Banks because there are cheaper alternatives for pretty much the same quality or better. Make sure you get gauges before a programmer. Even with a moderate chip under heavy throttle or towing a load will make your exhaust gas temps soar. A couple of hundred on guages can save you thousands on melted turbos and pistons.

atk

Reaction score
Most are going to steer you away from Banks because there are cheaper alternatives for pretty much the same quality or better. Make sure you get gauges before a programmer. Even with a moderate chip under heavy throttle or towing a load will make your exhaust gas temps soar. A couple of hundred on guages can save you thousands on melted turbos and pistons.

DITTO....X2

Welcome to SDD....

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Welcome Ford0273 to SDD.

I have a Banks exhaust and it has been a good set-up, but for the money, I could have gotten just as good a system for alot less.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, I have a Banks programmer and I like it. most guys prefer an SCT programmer and you can't argue with the results but i have had great results with the Banks and I like the safeguards built in with the Banks. Do some research and you will come to your own conclusion. Most guys run MBRP for exhaust.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Banks is over-rated as most of us CT guys would say.

mbrp is very popular, and the quality is there.

i am partial to the SCT products, but i have also used an edge evolution and it worked great. unfortunatly sct doesnt make anything for my truck :( . i am waiting for my chip to be sold to me, once a friend makes up his mind as to wich one he is going to sell me :)

welcome to the forum!

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
:w4

I have the Banks Products, and all of there stuff is good. I will be replacing the 6-gun with an SCT soon. Everything else will stay though.

Being that you have a 7.3 I would recommend Tony Wildman of TotalDieselPerformance.com for a chip. He is one of the best tuners there is for the 7.3, and will custom burn a chip for you to match your needs and desires. I guarantee his chip will give you far more power than anything Banks has to offer, and it will cost less. Tony's a great guy, and a great friend. I just wish he'd make some stuff for the 6.0

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD. These guys will lead you in the right direction. All you have to do is ask.

Ford0273

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Man, you guys are awsome. I didn't expect this many replies already. I do have more questions, but I will move to the correct threads for those. My main reason Banks is on the top of my list is his claim of power with less smoke. I understand there is going to smoke(soot) with power gains, but I really want to keep it as low as possable. I work out of my truck and I think non-diesel owners are really turned off when they see the big black cloud. I will keep probing around the site some more, but I've already seen a lot of talk about Tony Wildman. I'll check out Total Diesel Performance real soon. Again thanks alot and hope to chat more in other threads. T J Dierkens

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58