New Member needs help

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Foot on brake, apply power..same as power braking a car. Then release brake with foot on go pedal. The 6 speed manual is known to be a little doggy off the line.

really need to have a boost gauge to see the pressure start to
come up....dont wanna put too much throttle into it or youll start
smokin' the rear tires.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 6spd, and it is not meant to drag race with it. Put it in first (lo)and go 10 ft and shift. What our 6spd PSDs are good for is towing and getting good mpg. Also very good at going up or down mountains with a load, by down shifting easing wear on the brakes. With the manual, you have the ability to put the transmission into what gear is going to do the best for you in any situation. We ordered our truck from the factory with the manual for all the above reasons, and low maintenance and trouble free miles. Acceleration off the line, is not a PSD manuals best qualities.
With a race car with a clutch, you can rev up the engine and slip the clutch off the line. But do that with the PSD, and you will be buying a new clutch very soon, and you still will not be as quick as an automatic PSD. If you want to race an automatic, do it from a roll in 4th or 5th gear at your best rpm. Manuals have less parasitic hp loss than automatics as a general rule. In a 1/4 mile standing start, you could clock my truck with a sun dial. :D
But for most of the above reasons, I would not trade my truck for an automatic.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are advantages to having an automatic..

1. Ease of operation.
2. Being in stop and go traffic, or traffic gridlock.
3. Living in a place like San Francisco, where you have steep hills, and you need
to take off going up hill pulling a load.

If I lived in San Francisco or Los Angeles, I would have purchased a PSD with
a automatic. Just my opinion..:D

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
really need to have a boost gauge to see the pressure start to
come up....dont wanna put too much throttle into it or youll start
smokin' the rear tires.

Yeah, all 4 of them if your doing it right. :innocent

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way... that is bs that the turbo needs back pressure. A turbo, or any hydraulic motor for that matter is makes it's power from differential pressure. So in other words, if you have 20 psi on the feed side and 10 psi of back pressure, you are only effectively using 10 psi to do work. The lower the back pressure, the faster the response of the turbo.

There comes a point however where you won't really notice any improvement. I have a straight pipe on mine, and it didn't make any real difference on mine. I didn't notice anything but sound when I took my cat off and gave it a home in the garage. The muffler was a whole different story. Muffler helped with performance, but I also lost a bit of braking with tow haul.

To be honest with you when I ordered my truck I was really on the fence about a manual as well. I just couldn't get the hang of that goofy low and first gear. To me, something just wasn't right, either low needed to be lower, or first needed to be higher, and the other gears spread out. I thought about getting that, then dumping a 7 or 8 speed in it. I miss a manual. A lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14