New Member new owner with some issues

domcat74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the diesel world, got a great deal on a truck I knew had some problems. I thought the grinding and clunking noise on the drivers side was the ball joints but I jacked it up and there is zero play in any direction. I went underneath the truck and the stabilizer end link bushings on both sides are shot. The steering wheel also jerks to the right, especially when I hit a bump or dip in the road. My truck is an 04 F350 4x4. Also pulled on the front drivers side axle at the u joint and it had quite a bit of play in and out...what do you guys think? Could really use some help. Thanks

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD.com Domcat, glad to have you here, I am not a 4X4 person so I will let some of the others jump in here.
Merry Christmas and hope you come back often.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stabilizer ends are not a big problem to fix. I would look aftermarket for those. That's something you could do in the driveway. The jerking, could be the steering box has some play in it. That's a adjustment, Or there is a bushing or a ball joint that's bad. The truck is going to have to be lifted in the air for a good looking over. On the u joint that can be a messy job, and most likely both sides need to be done. I would take it to a shop for the steering box looked at and/or the whole front end looked over. Need to find a good diesel shop.

domcat74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After I looked further into it I found that the axle seal at the end of the housing has come out on both sides. Checked fluid level in diff and its still good so inner seals havent failed yet but I think that may be where the noise is coming from because there is alot of slop in the shafts. Either way it looks like my weekend will involve yanking out both axle shafts and putting in new seals. On top of the new stabilizer ends. Also noticed the drag link makes alot of noise and has considerable play in it. I know its supposed to move some but it slams both ways with little effort so I think that all new bushings are in order for the front end too. Aren't weekends great!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are probably looking at a complete rebuild of the front axle. Ball joints, tie-rod ends, outer seals and maybe changing the u-joints in each axle. I had to do mine at about 100,000 miles. Took all weekend with help, air tools and floor jacks. Not real hard but it takes time. Good luck!!

Dave :)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
You may have multiple problems. I think, if it was me, I'd do as Dave suggested.. Just rebuild the whole thing (save for the internal gutsesez). Ball joints, sway bar links & bushings, hub units (bearings), axle joints..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have multiple problems. I think, if it was me, I'd do as Dave suggested.. Just rebuild the whole thing (save for the internal gutsesez). Ball joints, sway bar links & bushings, hub units (bearings), axle joints..

x2.. Do it all Once, and do it all Right.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14