NEW PSD Owner Plz Help

mmcdonald14

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am a new diesel owner and not really certain about maintenance and was hoping for some help. A little about my truck '05 F-250 4x4, 4" lift, 35/60/R20 Toyo A/T Tires, 4" MBRP Cat Backed Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Edge Juice (Platinum) w/ Attitude. I live In Northern California

Recommended Motor Oil, Fuel Additive? How often should I change the fuel filter? Any helpful info appreciated.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Read your Owners Manual!!!!! In general oil should be changed between 3,000 to 5,000 miles and either 5W40 or 15W40 oil that is rated for diesels (CI 4 or CI 4+) is the oil. Fuel filters are 15,000 miles.

Dave

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! In my truck I use 15w40 and change it every 3,000 miles. I change my feul filter twice a year usually once in the fall and again in the spring. (15-20,000 miles) I generally clean my air filter every oil change too. (cold air intake) I use motorcraft feul and oil filters not unless I'm in a pinch.

Last edited:

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
Howdy Mac,
When it comes to replacing your filters, look on line. Generally you can find better prices. Check out the sponsors / advertisers section on this website.
Enjoy your PSD,
Craig

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually go 5-7,000 miles between oil changes and 15-20,000 on fuel filter. factory air filter check it once a week! otherwise onjoy! also with the 6.0 about once a week just dog on the truck, they are bad about carbon build up. and do not let it idle! thats some secrets to keep them healthy! that goes for everyone with 6.0's my dealer friend said alot of the problems with the 6.0's are due to carbon build up, so keep em blown out! good luck to ya friend!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i actually go 5-7,000 miles between oil changes and 15-20,000 on fuel filter. factory air filter check it once a week! otherwise onjoy! also with the 6.0 about once a week just dog on the truck, they are bad about carbon build up. and do not let it idle! thats some secrets to keep them healthy! that goes for everyone with 6.0's my dealer friend said alot of the problems with the 6.0's are due to carbon build up, so keep em blown out! good luck to ya friend!

dont want t split hairs but
jan 2nd
man i envy you!! i drive a stupid cummins right now...(which is in the shop as we speak! for the 4th time), i cant wait til the day i get to drive on the ford lot with the dodge and leave with a beautiful ford!

-popcorn -popcorn -popcorn
as per da book oil changes are rec at 7500 miles :D

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rotella from costco...when i started (this is my 1st diesel TRUCK)...
it was 36bucks for a case (of 6, 1gal jugs)...now its 54 bucks...
i change it ever 5000mi along w/ the filter.

buy the filters online...shopdiesel.com had about the cheapest fuel
filters (other than ebay).

when i 1st started my dealer wanted 98 bucks for an oil/filter change...
at the time i could buy 2 cases of oil (12 gal) and 3 oil filters (online)
for about what the dealer wanted for ONE SINGLE oil change (and i got
3 changes for nearly the same price).

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
know i'm gonna hear it...here goes...i change oil at 10,000 miles and fuel filter 15-20,000, but after our change intervals on the trucks at work(Penske Truck Leasing) i see engines lasting full life spans on extended intervals...Welcome and enjoy your truck:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14