New Ranchos

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered new Ranchos while the promotions were on. Got 4 RS5000s for less than $25 a piece delivered to the front door. I've never changed a shock before so help me with the process.

This is how I think it is done:

• [*]I jack up each corner of one side and put axle on a jack stand.
    [*]I then remove the tire and place a floor jack under the shock mount
    [*]I then remove the shock with impact hammer if needed.
    [*]Mount the new shock on the bottom mount
    [*]I then use the jack to raise or lower the new shock to the top mount.
    [*]Torque the bolts to the required and cut the shock strap.
    [*]Remount tire.

Is this right or wrong?

What is the torque for the shock mount bolts?

I am going to rotate the tires in the process so one side at a time.

Last edited:

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damm glad I have an '02. Mine were bolt off and bolt on. No jack needed.

And that Rancho deal was sweet huh? Got my 9000's off that too.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine from under the truck with no tire removal or jacks required .. mine does have a 6 inch lift but regardless you may need to jack yours up and support it safely ,, but tire removal while it may make it easier for the shock swap it adds more work , but if yoiu were rotating anyway it's a good plan to do it at the same time

where your description goes south is trying to lower the truck to meet the shock height ,, you pull the shock to meet the trucks mounting point ,, I don't think yours are gas charged but either way it's the same procedure

Last edited:

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ps if you did the Rancho rebate it takes months to get ,, and mine came UPS in the form of a credit card ,, try to use the whole ballance in one shot as they get messy trying to remember whats left

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine from under the truck with no tire removal or jacks required .. mine does have a 6 inch lift but regardless you may need to jack yours up and support it safely ,, but tire removal while it may make it easier for the shock swap it adds more work , but if yoiu were rotating anyway it's a good plan to do it at the same time

where your description goes south is trying to lower the truck to meet the shock height ,, you pull the shock to meet the trucks mounting point ,, I don't think yours are gas charged but either way it's the same procedure

Either way the jack would help. Can't get down under the truck. Got to have neck surgery this week from disc problem so not enough strength nor need to be straining and pulling. Learning the hard way to try to make it easier on myself even if it takes a little longer.

ps if you did the Rancho rebate it takes months to get ,, and mine came UPS in the form of a credit card ,, try to use the whole ballance in one shot as they get messy trying to remember whats left

Rebate goes in the mail tomorrow. I'll wait and watch for it. Bass Pro will probably get it all in one whack. Been saving rebate cards and rewards etc... for a new Ruger for my son.

Thanks to Zmann ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya