New substance on ground this morning?????

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
architect-builder said:
This morning I noticed 2 small puddles under my truck after I let it warm up. The location of them was at the rear of the motor. There was absolutely no color to it or smell of any kind(not like fuel, radiator fluid, trans fluid), almost like straight water, however, it did not freeze either. It has been about 25-30 overnights. Anybody have a clue what it could be? :dunno

Barrett

FWIW Barrett;

After reading your Post, it took me dowm Memory Lane.

Haveing spent some time in Antartica.... we use to see the same thing... little puddles and sometimes, little ice-cycles, under our equipment. Even when the equipment had been plugged in over the nightime hours (no Darkness) After much worry and toil, we figered it out.

As different metals cool, at the Dew point, condensation would form and collect. Then freeze. Early in the morning hours, when the Block heaters came on, we would see ice-cycles, later it would be puddles. Cast/Forged metals, like Aluminum (trannys) and Iron (manifolds) were really prone to be ice-cycle/puddle makers.

Sooo.... As long as yer fluid levels are where they should be, I would'nt worry to much about it. I see a puddle or two, even here in Caly... we have real heavy, drippy, dewy, foggy nights here.

Just a Flashback.

:dunno

JOE

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I still vote for the EGR cooler that has been the culprit more times than not under those conditions.....

but that's just my $.000002 :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very well could be. The EGR cooler still needs to be checked out. But sometimes..... Not often, it could be something simple.

:thumbs

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True... simple is betta :)

but if in a new place and slimy but didn't stain the concrete and running down the back passenger side of the oil pan from up top somewhere....

chk the egr cooler :)

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
i've noticed that too, and i'd have to agree with Big Joe, condensation off different metals will produce moisture or drips sooner than with other metals. just to be safe, keep an eye on your fluids.
All else fails, there is the taste test...:sweet

powerboater- 2-0 :roflmao :thanks

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
Yes....
have a video of my old 03 Ex doing the same thing if you'd like to see it :)

after sitting overnite in 20 degree or cooler weather I think it is antifreeze leaking past the EGR cooler seals....

only happened twice here in North Texas and once warmed it doesn't do it...

Coolant was low, I'm thinking "Bingo"! The substance does feel kinda "oily" in your fingers. Where are the EGR cooler seals?

Barrett

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was leaking from the EGR cooler too. It is an SOB to get to they have to pull the turbo. Mine was dripping right near the front tire on the passanger side. Almost looke like it was comming off of the starter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14