Question New take on EGR cooler delete

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an idea, and would like you guys to pickit apart and find any problems you think it may have.

EGR cooler delete: different design.

Why not block the coolant from even going through the intake? It does not need to, and that is not the only path the coolant takes. It will increase pressure/flow through the other path(s), but will it be enough to harm anything?

Picture one shows system flow. You could fabricate a piece of 1/4" steel with a gasket to block the bottom of the intake where the cooler bolts (arrow C), and leave that small coolant port open (arrow B). You could take another piece of steel or aluminum (relatively thin, but not too thin), a antifreeze-resistant o-ring for each side, and replace the rubber o-ring that sits between the intake and the front cover (arrow A). Coolant will not get into the intake. Cap off the up-pipe however you wish (mine has a plug already). Then plumb a hose from the oil cooler outlet to somewhere else in the cooling system so the flow is directed back to the radiator.

Picture two verifies that all the coolant does not go through the EGR cooler.

Picture three shows the small port to be left oper (B), the plate where the EGR cooler connects (C) and the unnecessary part (D). This is a picture of someone else's cooler delte setup.

The only real reason for this is to eliminate as much welding as possible. In my opinion, the simpler, the better.

Thanks

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Is it your intention to try this on your engine? I like innovation, if it works its a good deal.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the front cover part made and finding a point in the flow to reroute the coolant are your biggest challenges. Sounds reasonable to me, maybe tying into the heater core return line for the coolant would work. You could just weld all the open port and not need a gasket for the front cover.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14