New to bio diesel

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bio diesel has finally made it to the Birmingham AL area, they are selling B20. Now, will one of you old hands out there tell me if I will have any problem using B20 in my 01 SD, Ford recomends using B5 only, I wonder why??? Should I carry a spare fuel filter? Will I have to change any fuel lines with the B20?
I'm excited about using the bio but I don't want to open a can of worns as I depend on my truck for daily transportation.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate using B20 in an '01. Yes carrying an extra fuel filter is wise. The B5 that Ford recommends IMO reflects their hesitation to provide warranty coverage for those using a higher bioD blend should a fuel/injector related problem arise.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
...and throw in some gloves and some rags. Getting Biodiesel or any fuel on your hands on your way to pickup your date ain't good!
Rick H...

Last edited:

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have 3/4 of a tank of the current crap to burn off B 4 I can fill her up with the bio. We are planing to take our new toyhauler out for the first time this weekend so I might as well tow it with a tank full of B20.
Thanks again guys.
Hal

Ford Nut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
maybe Bill Clinton used to own your truck,or it could be the WVO.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have 3/4 of a tank of the current crap to burn off B 4 I can fill her up with the bio. We are planing to take our new toyhauler out for the first time this weekend so I might as well tow it with a tank full of B20.
Thanks again guys.
Hal

hey hal, whats that station location in B'ham? next time i'm down there, I would like to try some.

:thanks

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stephen,
It's the Coosa Mart on Hwy 31 in Pelham/Alabaster close to where the old Wal-Mart use to be. It is a very small station with one diesel pump that has a green biodiesel sticker on it. There was an article in the Birmingham News the other day about bio and how several of the cities in this area are using bio due to the reduced cost of fuel. I think Rice Oil Co. is the company that is making most of the bio in this area.
I have to drive to Montgomery today to take care of some business and will give the bio a try when I return.
Just wondering, how long will it take for the bio to 'clean' my fuel system and clog my fuel filter? Will one tank do it or will it take a couple of tanks before I have to worry about changing my filter. I would think it would taks at least a couple of tanks but I may be wrong... Anyone have any experience with this?
Hal

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Just wondering, how long will it take for the bio to 'clean' my fuel system and clog my fuel filter? Will one tank do it or will it take a couple of tanks before I have to worry about changing my filter.

It's hard to say. Running B100 will clean your tanks and fuel lines the fastest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14

Latest posts