New to me 2001

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the site as well as new to the brand. I recently purchased a 4x4 2001 psd with 160k on the ticker. What are the known issues on these trucks? I'm doing my reading and sifting through article after article trying to find all the stuff related to my year and model but there's alot of stuff on here! What items commonly fail? What spare parts should I carry? Any Must do mods? I plan on addressing the tranny soon. It had a torque converter put in 13k ago. I plan on the valve body from the dieselsite. All input apreciated, thanks guys.

-Sebastian

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These 7.3s are historically purdy stout and trusty, but it's not a bad idea to carry a spare CPS. I'm a 6 speed manual guy so Auto tranny issues ? I would leave that to the guyz that have'm. I'm sure they will Chime in......

Must do mods? Gauges FIRST. Boost, EGT are a basic must. Open it up and let it breath, intake & exhaust upgrades. Then bump the fuel pressure up to about 70 psi.... It goes on (and on) from there but [Specific] questions need to be addressed.

GAUGES FIRST.

Joe

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
for auto trannies, regular servicing is the key to long life. these trannies are very rough on fluid, and burnt fluid is not good at lubricating and lets the clutches chew up.

mods.......:D how fast do you want to go????

like joe said, get some guages and go from there.

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My buddies dad carries a spare pedal assembly in his obs, is that something I should consider? Also is there any must have tools or literature I should get?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sebass,

As far as the transmission keep the fluid changed and stick a cooler on there, you already have some great suggestions on pirate for model numbers and other options so I won't repeat those.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14