New to Powerstroke, need help

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just purchased my first diesel, 01 F250 7.3. The truck has a Bully dog 6 position chip, 4 inch exhuast, and K & N filter. Is there a better chip for this truck? Banks or Edge? What other add ons could I try for more power? What are you guys using to oil, brand, type, weight? Thanks for the help.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Don't forget to get a set of gauges sooner the better!

I'm no drag racer or nothin but have been satisfied with SuperChips MicroTuner's performance,Edge Evolution is our alternative choice.

dp-tuner does some great work and has customer service that is right up there with the best. Talk to Jody or Diane.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard ProXJC. We are glad you found us!!!

I will throw out one suggestion. Loose the K&N and get a good high capacity filter. The K&N does not perform well on these trucks.

Tbar

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome ProXJC. Glad that you found the site. This is a good site to be on. Check out the Zoodad mod on the DIY forums.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
that stuff is all junk.

take it all off and revert your truck to stock.

put all that stuff in a box and send it to me, and I'll dispose of it for ya.

and yes, I am kidding. :tounge :roflmao :doh:

All except that K&N squirrel trap. Throw that thing in the trash like Tbar said.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
4" is fine. Make sure to get gauges. Is it a K&N replacement element? Those are total trash, they leak. I have the Ford replacement but filters are expensive, if I had it to do over I think I would go with a Tymar type setup, The filter is huge, you can get them anywhere and they are cheap.

Any idea how old the Bully Dog is? How much does it smoke? You would probably be better off with a newer chip. I would stay away from Banks, they are okay, just overpriced.

Make sure you have gauges.

You should do the Hutch mod on your fuel system. That involves dropping the tank, puling the pickup and replacing the dip tube and replacing all of connections to the pump. The factory dip tube ahs a duckbill valve about halfway down that stays open and sucks air into the fuel. No good. People also claim that the connections on the way to the pump suck air, I doubt it but I replaced them anyway because I added a filter before the pump.

For oil any quality 15W40 diesel oil is good. I use Delo 400, Rotella T is also popular.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD!:sweet

If the truck doesn't have gauges get them! The BD chip is alright, Banks is overpriced and safe, Edge doesn't make a chip but the Evolution programer makes decent power. I made 304rwhp with the Evo.

As far as chips I've run TS, DI, DPtuner and Twildman. The two latter ones since running the Stealth. DP chip made 326rwhp, idled kinda rough and had some other quirks. I run Twildman now with smooth idle and great power, dyno sheets to compare the DP and TW on the same dyno same day soon to come.:sly

K&N has a 3 layer cotton gauze media, not enough for our application. 7-layer is best if you run cotton guaze. Huge paper filters are great and the Ford AIS would be my next choice. I live in a dusty climate though.

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The K n N filter is a volume filter, not a replacement, does that help? Not sure how old the BD is, truck can with it. How about AMS oil for these motors? Where might be a good place to get gauges?
thanks
joel

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14