New Member New to site and first diesel

The Lip

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone -
I'm hoping to learn a great deal (like I have with my other vehicles) from forums like this one.
Bought my first diesel pick up several months ago. It's only the second truck I've owed. My new one is a 2008 F350 Super Duty Lariat, 6.4 L Powerstroke (Black). Big change from my previous 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Off Road pkg. (purchased new in 2000). The owner I purchased the F350 truck from had it professionally and flawlessly (and I do mean flawlessly) maintained. Washed and detailed everyday (twice a day in winter - no joke) Truck has every option except nav. Truck never towed anything of significance, no snow plowing. Individual I purchased from has a couple of other SD (that are also mint) that were his workhorses.
In any event, like most owners of these new (emissions equipped) diesels I have a lot of questions regarding this regen filter and mileage (I'll be posting in the appropriate sections). My obvious question on mileage is (like I know tons of guys who own these particular year diesels have) how do all of my buddies who have pre 2008 F250 & F350 diesels pull mph numbers in the high teens (18, 19) and low 20's on the highway when I can only muster (consistantly) only 13.1 mpg? I think (only from reading numerous articles and forum posts) I know why. I was told time and time again.... we have our fed. gov. to thank for that. A mechanic told me diesels were never meant to have emissions system equipment bolted on to them. Sounds to me like they haven't figured it out correctly?
Other than the crazy smoke that pours out everytime the "cleaning exhaust filter" light goes on (of which I still can't understand how this is somehow better for the enviroment than the traditional black smoke that is produced by diesel engines) and the rather disappointing mileage the truck is awesome. Tows my powerboat like it's not even behind me. Much easier than with my Ram (gas engine). Better looks
I look forward to receiving all of your insights, help and guidance on projects going forward.
Thanks.
S -

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone -
I'm hoping to learn a great deal (like I have with my other vehicles) from forums like this one....

...In any event, like most owners of these new (emissions equipped) diesels I have a lot of questions regarding this regen filter and mileage (I'll be posting in the appropriate sections). My obvious question on mileage is (like I know tons of guys who own these particular year diesels have) how do all of my buddies who have pre 2008 F250 & F350 diesels pull mph numbers in the high teens (18, 19) and low 20's on the highway when I can only muster (consistantly) only 13.1 mpg? I think (only from reading numerous articles and forum posts) I know why. I was told time and time again.... we have our fed. gov. to thank for that. A mechanic told me diesels were never meant to have emissions system equipment bolted on to them. Sounds to me like they haven't figured it out correctly?

Other than the crazy smoke that pours out everytime the "cleaning exhaust filter" light goes on (of which I still can't understand how this is somehow better for the enviroment than the traditional black smoke that is produced by diesel engines) and the rather disappointing mileage the truck is awesome...

I know the regen plays havoc on the PSD but Ijust bought a VW Jetta with all the crap on it as well but still have gained 50 MPG on it. It boast as much as 58 MPG in the world record it set. The PSD is much more horse compared to the little VW 4 banger but the new regen on it caused it to get better MPG than its smaller predecessor the 1.9L TDI that
I traded in for the new clean TDI 2.0L Jetta.

Come on Detroit help us??????????? :stir

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Detroit needs to start using European technology. Also, if they want to get the CAFE standards up to the government standards, they need to have more 4 cylinder diesels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14