New Tonneau Cover Increased MPG

spideygsm24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I put an Extang Performance tonneau cover on my truck. The bed cover companies all say that it will increase the mpg's. I was doubltful. I've never seen anybody thread that their mpg's increase as a result of adding a bedcover. However, it really worked. Before I put on the tonneau cover I was getting an average of 13 to 13.5 mpg. On my first tank of gas since installing the cover, I got 15.5 mpg (the most I've ever gotten on a tank of gas on my truck). The mileage is approximately 40% city and 60% highway.

I know it's too early to say for sure but I think the tonneau covers really improve the mileage. By the way, I put the cover on to keep tools and golf clubs out of sight of wandering eyes and not to get better mpg's. The added mileage is a real bonus. I'll update this thread as I continue to watch the rack up the mileage.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one on my 04 and it did help alot. I even made a short one for my truck when I was pulling the 5th wheel. It was from the cab to the hitch. It gave me a 2 mpg increase towing the 5th wheel.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air against the tailgate creates a lot of drag. Anything that eliminates that drag will help mileage. When I drove from Alaska to Colorado in my 2001 Dodge Cummins towing a 7000 pound trailer I got 13 mpg average for the 3500 mile trip. I had a cap on that truck that sloped up front to back figuring it would help air flow over the trailer and I think it worked. When I returned to Alaska I towed the same trailer but with my 2005 Super Duty and open bed and averaged 10 mpg for the trip.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are comparing two different trucks on two different trips. That is not a fair comparison. That proves nothing. It would if you used the same truck.

Dave

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never really thought about it but you're right Dave. Not only were they different trucks but also different fuel. When I drove out with my Dodge good fuel (low sulfur diesel) was still being sold. My Super Duty really doesn't like this ultra low sulfur diesel.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Mythbusters has done a lot of experimentation on this subject..

The tailgate elimination or air-gate was shown to decrease fuel economy.

The tonneau cover works, as it in effect raises the bed floor and still creates a swirl behind the cab.

There is a guy on another site that some of us are also members of, who is getting 26 and change out of his truck.

spideygsm24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JLDickmon:

I don't know about the 20's at least not on a 6.4L. The only long trips I've taken on the freeway since I got my truck were dragging my trailer. The mileage increase I saw with the tonneau is all-around driving. The increase in mpg's is about 10% which is about what the tonneau companies claim.

I was a skeptic but not anymore.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
JLDickmon:

I don't know about the 20's at least not on a 6.4L. The only long trips I've taken on the freeway since I got my truck were dragging my trailer. The mileage increase I saw with the tonneau is all-around driving. The increase in mpg's is about 10% which is about what the tonneau companies claim.

I was a skeptic but not anymore.

Guys name is Dave Whitmer..
his truck is a 2000 4x2 6speed..
I just looked at his profile and I see he's added a Gear Vendor overdrive..

he lowered his truck 4"
and built an air dam out of conveyor belting, to clean up the air going underneath the truck

but he has an ARE hard tonneau..

So yes, it's proven.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58