New truck and your opinions and sugestions

carpenter1793

searchin for a PSD
Reaction score
Hi my name is Tyler and I'm from St. Louis Missouri. I am looking into buying a new truck and it will most definately be a ford superduty with the diesel engine. I have been looking around for a good used ford superduty diesel but havent found "The One" so Im buying new. My question(s) to you kind gentleman is first of all should I get a F-250 or an F-350? It will be a crewcab longbed with 4 wheel drive regardless. I dont haul alot but I work as a union carpenter and occasionaly (twice a month)m pull a 12K tandem axle trailer with which I currently use the company truck ('98 GMC 2500 gasser) but it would be so much nicer and easier to use my own truck to pull a trailer, so I wouldnt necessarily need a full on F-350 everyday but it would be nice if the need should arise.

Also would I be better off going with the 3.73 Limited Slip or the 3.55 Limited slip on the F-250 and I do believe the gears are the same on the F-350 single rear wheel as well. I definately dont need dual rear wheels and wont pull a fith wheel for a very long time so I dont think the towboss package is even in the debate.

Another option I am considering is the difference from the XL trim to the XLT or even Lariat trim. I usually work in a clean environment so I am rarely that dirty getting in my truck after work so carpet would be very nice to have and make the truck that much nicer inside, but the rubberized floor seems like a very nice feature for muddy boots or the wet and snowy season as you can just wipe it out with a wet rag.

Are there any options you guys feel are unnecessary or are absolute must haves? This is my first new truck since I was 16 so I want it to be a good truck and very dependable but last a long time as well. I was wondering about the upgraded radio, 4x4 off road package, snow plow prep package, stabilizer package, camper package, heavy service suspension. Do any of these offer anything to make everyday driving nicer or easier? I wont use the truck to plow snow, haul a camper or a fifth wheel so are any of these neccessary items to include in the must have list?

how about the dual alternators or the heavy duty alternator? How about the traction control is it actually useful or just added expense? I know I would like to have the 4x4 shift on the fly even though I have heard stories from several guys who have problems with them and go with a dynatrac free spin kit which still has its upsides I feel to (2 wheel drive low range when your hubs arent locked in for instance, really good for the boat ramp I have heard), the powerscope mirrors, rear sliding glass, roof clearance lights, all weather floor mats, and the upfitter switches (man do I have some plans for those:sly) but what about the rapid heat supplemental cab heater is it worth the cost as an option?

Basically what Im asking is if you had to buy your truck new allover again which options do you like and which do you hate. I am willing to wait on the guys over at Ford to custom build my truck to my specs. Which options are the ones you never thought you would want or need and didnt get right away and which ones did you get but really dont want.:oval :Diamond

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any and all feedback you are willing to give me. I may only be buying one new truck for a very long time since the economy sucks and I want to make it as nice and enjoyable as I can. I already have some performance mods in my head, but I think I will be waiting until the waranty runs out before I so much as fart in the direction of the engine for fear of retribution from the dealer and a waranty denial.

Thanks again
Tyler

`08 BlueCrew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
An F-250 would easily handle a 12K trailer, my MOHO is to go with the F-350 with 3:73's. That will have plenty of towing capability to have a buffer and still offer some needed fuel economy.

You definitely want the tow package. Look into the Integrated Brake Controller. My last two trucks had the IBC and they work great. You are correct that you won't need the Tow Boss package. If you are going to add electronic add-ons you may want to consider the Upfitter Switches. I bought the vinyl floor protectors to use in the winter to protect the carpeting.

My last two trucks were also XLT packages for the increased creature conforts. New on is a King Ranch - but I bought it off the lot. The heated leather seats are nice in the winter time. Sure looked sweet sitting there and my wife immediately fell in love with it.

Hope this helps a bit. All of this is just my opinion.

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would consider the TOW BOSS since the cost doesn't seem to be too much and you get a lot for your money as opposed to buying the stuff individually. If you really don't need it, of course, you may not want it, but again, look at the individual stuff versus the package. I boought mine off the lot, so I didn't have a choice and it didn't have the package. JMHO...good luck...Joe
OBTW are you looking for 2008 leftovers or looking to order a new one? I haven't seen ANY 2009 SuperDuty's on any lots as yet...

Black06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few fella's have already hit some key points. The other things I like about the 2008 over my past 2006:

1. PTC heater - cold in Michigan and kicks heat immediately. Set in auto, remote start and you'll be happy.
2. Trailer tow mirrors
3. Audiophile system (impresses everyone who has been in my truck)

....and the upfitter switches are a must.

Black06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't Tow Boss an option on Dually's, not Single rear wheel trucks?

I think you're correct; only the 4.30 is listed as the Tow Boss, which isn't available in the SRW version.

Black06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't Tow Boss an option on Dually's, not Single rear wheel trucks?

I think the "Trailer Prep Package" which includes the 7-pin wiring, the Tow Command, the Telescoping mirrors, etc...., is what this gentlemen was referencing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58