new truck new member. mileage question?

pizzaman11

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2005 F250 about three weeks ago and ive fueled up twice so far. first time i hit around 13 mpg with a little highway driving, mostly city. then i fueled up tonight and hit around 11.95 mpg with only city driving. I have an AFE cold air and 4" exhaust with aftermarket muffler(soon to be taken off to make straight pipe.) I bought this truck knowing i wouldnt get amazing mileage but i thought it would be better than that. Is there any suggestions you could give me to improve fuel economy, i use this truck everyday for work. i would much appreciate any help.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2005 F250 about three weeks ago and ive fueled up twice so far. first time i hit around 13 mpg with a little highway driving, mostly city. then i fueled up tonight and hit around 11.95 mpg with only city driving. I have an AFE cold air and 4" exhaust with aftermarket muffler(soon to be taken off to make straight pipe.) I bought this truck knowing i wouldnt get amazing mileage but i thought it would be better than that. Is there any suggestions you could give me to improve fuel economy, i use this truck everyday for work. i would much appreciate any help.

Depending on Rear-End gearing.. these PSD's get from 12 to 18(?) MPG's.

[It's ALL'about yer right foot.] Avoid the Jack Rabbit stuff.. keep the RPMs under 2K (62 mph works), and Use The Cruise.

Keep yer Fuel and Air filter(s) clean. The 6.0's seem to like a 5/40 synthetic oil. And run a jug of Fuel Supplement thru it regularly (Power Service, Grey jug, @ Wal-Mart, (JMO))

:dunno

Joe

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
Welcome, I just joined myself. I have a 7.3L (CC, SB, Auto and 4X4) '01 and get about 13.5 around town and just got back from a beach trip and got 18.6 mpg. I have gotten 19.2 mpg last year on a trip to the NC outer banks. I have a tuner set on HP, K&N and run the cetane booster (white bottle from WalMart). I keep my foot out of it when I want to get good mileage. Keep the fuel filter changed and run Rotella oil works for me. One of these days i want to break the 20 mpg mark.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a tuner set on HP, K&N and run the cetane booster

You might want to take a careful look at that K&N Air Filter. They don't filter very well and will let fine particles into your turbo. This will trash the intake impeller after some time. If you see or feel anything like grit (very fine), you are at risk.

Dave

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
You might want to take a careful look at that K&N Air Filter. They don't filter very well and will let fine particles into your turbo. This will trash the intake impeller after some time. If you see or feel anything like grit (very fine), you are at risk.

Dave

What about the AFE filter?

pizzaman11

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have the AFE and i love the thing, great air flow. but back to my question, ive heard with an egr delete the fuel mileage can go up and also with a programmer on a stock or economy tune, if true do you know how much of an impact it will have.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Regarding mileage, the 02 7.3 that I had would consistently get 15-16 mpg in my local driving (city/highway combined), on the road (no towing), it would get 19-21. I found that (also as Big Joe said), I got the best mileage by keeping the rpm's under 2000 (mine hit 2000 at 70 mph) and avoiding jackrabbit starts.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13 is good. 11 is normal. Since you have the intake and exhaust already, get some gauges (EGT, trans temp and boost) and a tuner. 600-800 dollar investment dependin on the gauges and tuner you get. Improved my mileage by a good 20 to 25% if I'm nice to the gas pedal

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg