NEW TURBO BAD

DGB

Diesel Geezer
Reaction score
Hey, I can't seem to catch a break. I took my truck in for problems with the turbo surging and not responding to the throttle. They called me and told me the turbo was bad and they were going to put another one on it. They said it would be done this afternoon. Later today they called me and told me that the new turbo was bad. Bummer! They were very polite and apologized. I assured them I didn't think it was their fault that it was bad and to do whatever they had to do. While on the phone I asked them to take some pictures of it and e-mail them to me. they were quite happy to do so and they sent them within an hour. The pictures aren't that good but I suppose they are a service dept first and photographers second. Anyway, here is a link to the pictures for all to look at. See www.pvpmedia.com/turbo.htm . I have to admit I don't really know a lot about what I see so I'll leave it up to the experts out there. Any comments welcome. A little over a year ago they replaced the turbo and now I'm back again for another one. Not good for only 17K on the odometer.

Later Guys,

Dave

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, couldnt tell you. Its a variable vane turbo, so its got alot more to break than a 7.3 turbo.

Most likely, if I had to guess, I would say either bad bearings, or the VVT technology broke.

I've heard the 03 turbos arent the best. See if they can retro an 04 turbo onto it instead. More vanes I think.

DGB

Diesel Geezer
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Is the center of that compressor wheel blue or were they using a dye check?

I noticed that, but it looked to me more like a mark that was put there for some reason rather than bluing from heat. I am rather concerned about the mucky looking crap in the last picture.

Dave

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
My 03 X is in the shop right now for a bad turbo. Starting making a horrendous metallic slamming noise while pulling a 10k load, then loss of power, etc. I'd pull over on the interstate, let it cool down, restart the engine, and it'd be fine. FYI, without a load, the truck would run fine.

Ford said that the turbo wasn't cooling down properly, so under heavy load it'd overheat. They ordered a new turbo (4-5 day wait on a rush order) and installed it this past Tuesday. However, the new (remanufactured) turbo was leaking oil pretty bad, so they ordered another one. Another 4-5 day wait (service manager acknowledged the problems with 03 6.0 turbos and said Ford can't keep them stocked on the shelf). New (again, remanufactured) turbo came yesterday and they installed it. I was told they test drove it and it put out 24 psi of boost according to my X-Monitor. However, when I picked up the truck last night, I pulled off the lot and the turbo wouldn't spin up at all, wouldn't get over .3 psi of boost. Turned around and caught the service manager and mechanic (it was 6 pm at the time--closing time). They stayed, along with two other mechanics and me, in the bays until 10 pm trying to fix it. They'd rev it up and blue smoke would pour out of the engine, but it was so heavy they couldn't see where it was coming from--it did get progressively worse as the night wore on. They checked the turbo front and back, the intercooler front and back, and the exhaust for obstructions but it was all working as it should. The turbo was apparently working as it should, spinning without a problem (sorry, don't know the technical names for all the turbo parts).

Well, it was obvious that the problem wasn't a quick fix so the service manager said it'd have to wait until after Memorial Day when they could call the Ford hotline. They're not convinced the turbo is bad, but it may well be.

All this is covered under the warranty, but I'm apprehensive about what'll happen at 100,001 miles. The current problem seems pretty involved with both the turbo and the motor. Prior to this, the only problems I've had with the motor are two bad injectors that were replaced before the truck had 10k on the clock. Should I be apprehensive?

BTW, I've got a SCMT but tow on stock or on Tow Safe, and never set it above Tow Safe, even when not towing. I want this to be a 200k mile truck so I take it easy on the motor.

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I got my X back on Friday, pulled the TT up to Maine (360 miles one way) for the weekend and the turbo problem is almost fixed. No issues like before, but after pulling for about an hour, the turbo would take quite a bit of time to spool up and give me some power. I'm talking as much as 45 seconds. It'd sit at 1 or 2 psi, then finally slowly creep up to 3 psi, then once it hit 4 it'd wake up and boost up to 25. Kinda scary when you're merging in traffic and ain't got no power. Unhook the trailer, and the truck runs as good as the day I bought it.

Any ideas out there before I head to the dealership.....again?

Bruce

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
I got my X back on Friday, pulled the TT up to Maine (360 miles one way) for the weekend and the turbo problem is almost fixed. No issues like before, but after pulling for about an hour, the turbo would take quite a bit of time to spool up and give me some power. I'm talking as much as 45 seconds. It'd sit at 1 or 2 psi, then finally slowly creep up to 3 psi, then once it hit 4 it'd wake up and boost up to 25. Kinda scary when you're merging in traffic and ain't got no power. Unhook the trailer, and the truck runs as good as the day I bought it.

Any ideas out there before I head to the dealership.....again?

Bruce

That sounds like the VGT solenoid is not working (or sticking). Have them check that out and I think you will be on your way. :)

Dave

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
That sounds like the VGT solenoid is not working (or sticking). Have them check that out and I think you will be on your way. :)

Dave

After a two hour trip back home from NYC the other day (no trailer), the truck started acting up about five miles from the dealership....called ahead and the mechanic met me outside to go for a ride and witness the problem first hand.

They called the Ford hotline who said to replace the EBP sensor and harness. Picked it up today and hooked up to the trailer for a 3 hour pull to check and make sure the problem was fixed. Pulled the piss out of the truck today and it appears the problem is fixed. I duplicated the circumstances when I'd had the problems, and it worked fine.

I'm cautiously saying the problem is fixed.

Bruce

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58