New turbo, findings, and some questions

PSD PAC

semi handy guy
Reaction score
Hello all -

My stock turbo took a dive on me, so I got an HT Turbo. My mechanic put it in while I was at work, so I got it when I got back home a couple of days ago.

Things I've noticed:

Thermocouple in same location (post), and temps now UP. Used to run 450-500 on freeway, now running 650-700.

Boost - in town driving it's so-so, but I expected this to some degree. On the freeway you can go from 2psi to 12-14 RIGHT NOW. Cruising boost on the freeway down to 2-4psi from around 6psi with stock (expected). Real boost seems to start around 2200 rpm.

Smoke - lots of it when I get on the throttle. Blows a lot more than I like.

Acceleration - when the turbo kicks in, it's very smooth going from 70-90, and it happens pretty quickly.

Sound - sounds pretty darn cool when it spins up, and it spins up fast, provided I'm moving already (it's slow from startup, but no surprise).

So I'm moderately pleased, but I think I just need to have my PCM tweaked; I'm running an 80hp tune from Jody. Was AWESOME with the stock turbo, plenty of power and low smoke, but something's different with the new turbo, so I'll get with him and see what he says. Once I get the tunes down I think it'll be cool - and it's not near as expensive as a ball bearing turbo.

Comments? Ideas?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you stepped up a size in your exhaust housing? Not spinning the turbo as fast at lower engine RPM's but when she does spool up you build boost quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58