New Turbo Problems, Part Deaux

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Well, looks like its gonna be the new turbo that is the problem.

took it to ford this AM, there were no codes of any kind, they reflashed the PCM with the latest up to date flash, still made no diff. :( -mad

they told me that they believe the turbo is not freeing up to build boost.

SO. i called the place where i got the turbo from and told him all this.

he felt like it would be best for me to take him his turbo back, and he would give me back the original plus he still had my check, give that back to me also.

and he said that he would pay for the labor to remove his turbo and for the new one i will be putting in next.

he still believed that his turbo is fine, but maybe the techs werent good enuff to find out what was really wrong with it. (we may never know)

now keep in mind, that he had to remove the exhaust housing from my old turbo because the housing had a bolt hole mounting place, where as his didn't. he said that he used the new exhaust propeller from his turbo, so everything is new, except for the exhaust housing.

which he did clean my housing and made it look like new again.

the tech seemed to think that maybe the fins on the exhaust side was in a bind when the man that sold me the turbo put it back together. :dunno

now i will not have my truck for at least another few days i guess.

Last edited:

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama, At least the turbo rebuilder was understanding and is going to cover the labor and give you a refund. Alot of guys would try to put the blame on someone else.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Bama, At least the turbo rebuilder was understanding and is going to cover the labor and give you a refund. Alot of guys would try to put the blame on someone else.

well, this was actually a brand new turbo, no re-build, and yes, i do appreciated him workin with me on this problem.

i just nexteled the tech workin on it, and told him to make sure they ordered the right turbo, he beeped me back and said they're actually (3)three different turbos for the 6.0, and they they go by the build date of the truck.

i know i should have checked into stuff like that from the get-go, but i really didnt know to ask questions like that, i feel left alone when it comes to stuff like this, i all i really have to depend on is what the techs were tellin me.

i should have came on here first with my problems and then made my decisions based on all the feed back from members here who have more knowledge than me.

sorry for letting you down SDD

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems to me it would be easy enough to check that turbo soon as they had
it off...reach your finger in there and try to spin it...if youre finger spins it
than certainly any exhaust flow will !

i hate hearin' 'bout folks dealing w/ these problems...i got a sneaking' suspicion that when they put the new turbo on youre problems still
arent gonna be resolved...but i sure hope they are.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
seems to me it would be easy enough to check that turbo soon as they had
it off...reach your finger in there and try to spin it...if youre finger spins it
than certainly any exhaust flow will !

i hate hearin' 'bout folks dealing w/ these problems...i got a sneaking' suspicion that when they put the new turbo on youre problems still
arent gonna be resolved...but i sure hope they are.

it could be that it was just the wrong turbo for my truck.

if anyone would like to donate to a very worth cause, Namely the "help pay for bama's new turbo fund" just send me a PM, and i will give out the name of the bank takin donations.

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Stephen there are different turbos on the 6.0's, and the reason for this is for two things if I recall.

One is to quiet the sound down.
Two is for greater reliability.

I don't know what the order is but it some turbos have 10 vanes, others have 14 vanes and then the rest have like 16 vanes. I don't remember what years had what on them. But that is pretty much the just of it if I recall.

If you have ever noticed the earlier turbos like the 03 ones whistle so much louder than the later ones. The vane change is the reason why. If I recall the mounting and working should be pretty much the same. Maybe just some different programming to run them. Kyle

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Stephen there are different turbos on the 6.0's, and the reason for this is for two things if I recall.

One is to quiet the sound down.
Two is for greater reliability.

I don't know what the order is but it some turbos have 10 vanes, others have 14 vanes and then the rest have like 16 vanes. I don't remember what years had what on them. But that is pretty much the just of it if I recall.

If you have ever noticed the earlier turbos like the 03 ones whistle so much louder than the later ones. The vane change is the reason why. If I recall the mounting and working should be pretty much the same. Maybe just some different programming to run them. Kyle

thanks kyle, great info. i do believe this is the route i should have gone the first time.

i just really hope that this will solve my problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58