New with some questions

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm sure this is in the wrong forum but I'm new so please excuse me. I'm thinking of buying a '99 PSD this weekend with 146K on the clock. The guy tells me it's in perfect condition but I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas of things to look for before I commit. On that same note does anyone know of a reputable diesel mechanic in the Des Moines area I could have take a look at the truck before I buy it?
Thanks!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
welcome pete. sorry i cant help ya any with the 7.3's. i am a 6.0 owner.

there will be some 7.3 owners that will respond shortly to all your ?????'s

but welcome to SDD and visit here often. lots of great people on here, that are allways willing to help out.

good luck on shopping for your truck.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I've got a 7.3

ask to see his service records and make sure he's kept the fluids changed. By that mileage, everything in the truck that's wet, should have been changed at least twice.

Other than that, they're a typical 4x4... ball joints, wheel bearings, etc... find out where you can get B20 bio... the 7.3 responds to the added lubricity; it's not a real fan of the latest ultra-low sulphur diesel fuel.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree about the service records. i also have a 7.3 with 221,000 and it is still my daily driver. see if you can take it for a test drive and see how the the tranny is. mine went out a 185,000 without doing any towing. other than that it runs great and there is always sometinhg you can add to it.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
195k and counting on my daily driver.............. :sweet

Tbar

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't find B20 diesel just get you some Lucas Fuel Treatment. I run it in everytank and I can tell the difference between when I run a couple of tanks without compared to tank with the treatment in it.

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to hopefully buy the truck in a few hours. I'm taking a buddy along that knows a lot more about diesels than me.
Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14