Newbe question: current status of the 6.0

moe-jiller

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Considering truck & 5th wheel life style for the first time. I,ve read many things in these Forums but can not piece together the current status of the 2006 / 2007 6.0 product, as a reliable tow vehicle. What would a first time diesel buyer want to know about before deciding to buy a new 2006 or 2007 Ford diesel powered product. I can read the spec. sheets but don't have experience to know what the real life owner, or service, issues would be like.
Looking for a short list of potential issues to weigh a selection decision. Thanks in advance . ajm

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go for the 6.0 as most of the bugs have been worked out of them.

I am sure the new twin turbo 6.4 will have bugs to be worked out. The particulate filter on the exhaust would really concern me.

I guess the only thing I would ask myself is "Do I want to be a guinea pig and try the new 6.4?" :confused:

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
6.4 come out in 08 modle year, as far as the 6.0 seem that everyone who has one on this site seems to love em they say there powerfull and reliable although the first 6L in 03 and 04 had some issues they werent isuess in every truck and 99% of people on here with 03 04 6.0s love there truck and dont have many complaints. wish i had more insight but i drive a 7.3

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Love my 06 and the 35 Foot HitchHiker that I pull. 12900 lb.and it pulls it great. Any way I can help you on finding a truck, let me know. Just PM.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
WD40 said:
Welcome. Love my 06 and the 35 Foot HitchHiker that I pull. 12900 lb.and it pulls it great. Any way I can help you on finding a truck, let me know. Just PM.

yes sir
our tow boss is the superkalisticfragilisticpulldaddypuffdragon mochine

25k Plus and counting ZERO real engine issues -popcorn -popcorn

moe-jiller

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Newbe question part II

Thanks all for the replys.
The amenities list seems easy but the mechanicals seem expensive to redo if ordered/purchased wrong.
I am Okay funding 4 wheel drive but do not really want dual rear wheel. Crew cab required and box length is undecided. F250 prefered but have not settled on trailer (weight). Looks like these trucks are too expensive for me to need a 'Do Over' :)

Here is a follow on question:
From an experienced point of view - Is there any thing in the Ford order / Option list that is commonly overlooked, or otherwise in that " I wished I would have ordered that" catagory? Thanks again. ajm

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
The difference between the 250 and 350 is about $600. Go ahead and get more truck than you think you need, don't ask how I know this LOL

As far as options go it's all in what you can afford and or want. I went with the lariat package with all the goodies so I would not someday say "I wish I had gotten..........."

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
moe-jiller said:
box length is undecided.

get the long bed if you're getting a fifth wheel. you won't have to worry about cab contact and/or spending (wasting) money on a slider hitch...

If your're getting a trailer over 20' you'll love the added stability of the dual rear wheels, especially in the rain, wind, snow, and winding mountain down grades where "the tail tries to wag the dog"

just my $.02

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
camper package.

You also might consider the camper package, it has stiffer springs and a rear sway bar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58