Help Needed newbie check engine light

LAVEY006

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to this site. I've got an 04 6.0L , been running with the EGR valve unplugged , but the check engine light is on . I have to get a smog, if I plug the EGR in it dose'nt run well lots of blk smoke. Dose any one know if it will pass if I plug it back in. Thanks

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Lavey and Welcome to SSD.com, our two CA smog passing dudes will be here soon.
It's still early for the retired guys on the left coast. Dave and Joe.

I will hear about this post. LOL
Doug

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I just woke up... Smoke is the major factor in failing smog. No smoke! Remove you EGR Valve and clean it using Carb Cleaner and a tooth brush. Don't get the cleaner in the little holes going to the electrics of the valve. You will trash the valve if you do. Now re-install the valve and plug it in. If the EGR Light is still on, un hook your batteries for at least 20 minutes. This should clear the codes that turn on the light.

Doug, I was up at 5:15 pst this morning, and most mornings. :) Us old farts go to bed early and get up early.

Dave :coffee

LAVEY006

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help. Did everything you said went down and passed the smog. I do have another problem I'll start another thread for that Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14