Newbie in the Powerstroke world!!

blueballin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As the title says im a newbie in the powerstroke world. I purchased a 2001 powerstroke SC 4x4. So far i love it! I have been reading ALOT on what to do and what not to do. There are alot of good posts on here! The question i have is when i tow my 5500 pound jeep around do i tow in Overdrive or not? I have been told both ways to do and not to do. What do you guys think? I tried searchin for the answer but no luck! Thanks!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Blue,great to have you in the community:sweet

With a 4R100 automatic properly setup(shift kit & oversized cooler) and depending on the grade towing in OD shouldn't be an issue.

Running with a stick you'll know when to and when not to run in the top gear position;)

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
You do NOT use Overdrive in the 7.3 engine/transmissions for towing.

Dave

Why would you NOT use OD for towing a jeep with a 7.3??????

I pull my 34 ft TT in OD with no problem.

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, tommorow when I tow my Acura Integra to the shop I am not to use OD, even on the Interstate? What about when the trailer is empty?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
OK, now guys, I don't own a 7.3 with the AOD or what ever it is called (4R100) so I am no authority. A very good friend who has a 2000 7.3 with the auto told me NO. You guys own the trucks, so do what you all think is proper.

Dave

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I just got done towing 10,000lbs from Seattle, WA to Buffalo, NY to Jacksonville, FL in OD. When I am towing, I watch the temps. Plenty of folks tow without guages. Get them when you can afford it. My simple rule is the same towing or not towing and that is if it starts to hunt lock out OD or shift it into the lower gear. When pulling hills, I generally will lock out OD if the truck down shifts and then go back into OD at the top of the grade. Welcome to a place full of powerstroke knowledge.

Scott

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome2 Blue, Welcome to SSD.com now that you have a new to you truck, I would change all of the fluids in the truck, Eng, Transmission, and rear end, brake fluid also.
Like others have said, tow in O/D as long as the transmission is not hunting back and forth between gears. :ford :USA :welcome :welcome2
Buy the way where are you from and can you post some pictures of your new ride.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58