Newbie looking for 400HP

RevBubba

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Help a Newbie out.

I did a search but did not find a description of this. I am wanting to keep up with my 2 buddies who just spent huge coin on 07 Cummins trucks.

So I am looking for about 400 HP that is stone reliable and that I can pull my 28 foot trailer with. Economy is not a huge issue for me...power and reliability are king.

I have a 1995 F250 with a 7.3 Turbo, 5 speed with luca clutch, aftermarket downtube ( 4 inch ) I was told. K&N filter...not intake system...just filter.

So what do I need to keep up with my buddies.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
K&N is like drugs "Just say no"

For 400 hp you will need:

First will be a pyrometer to be sure you don't melt it down. - $145

Open intake such as Tymar $160

Full 4" exhaust from the turbo back -$400

Custom tuned chip such as one from DP-tuner. $300

Stage II injectors. $1550

Custom fuel system to supply the injectors. $1000

HPOP upgrade to supply the injectors with extra oil. $600(late model pump)-$2000(custom dual)

You may also be looking at a turbo upgrade if the above is not enough. $1125

You will also need a intercooler to keep the egt down since you want to tow. $800(superduty retrofit)-$1,500(banks)

Grand total of about $6000-$8000.. If you wanna play you gotta pay :D

Once you hit 400hp the Luk clutch you have may or may not hold up so a upgrade to a South bend Con-OFE may be in order at the tune of about $900

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
400hp you will need some big injectors, but if you still want to tow i wouldnt go bigger than "stage 1's" to keep the temps down.

most important of all, are your friends dodges automatic? if they have autos, it doesnt matter how much hp you have you will never beat them with your stick.

is there anything done to these dodges? i really dont see how you could need anything more than 300hp in our trucks to beat one of them (stock)

also, what axle ratio do you have, and what size tires are you running....these factors make a huge difference in how fast you can go/accellerate. big tires will have a parasitic draw of HP, especially if they are knobby. im not sure for trucks....but i know if i dyno'd my quad on slicks and knobbies (same size), the slicks would come out with 5-10 hp more than the knobbies, and thats running in the 30-60hp range

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
with the mods in my signature, i beat an 05 cummins with exhaust, intake, and edge juice with attitude, it wasnt by much only a truck length or 2

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
with the mods in my signature, i beat an 05 cummins with exhaust, intake, and edge juice with attitude, it wasnt by much only a truck length or 2

Did he forget to push on the throttle ;) Without injectors I don't see it happening..

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
dunno about beatin a cumapart.my truck is built fairly well and i wont even line up with a cumapart or a duracrap

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i ran with an '04 cumapart that only had straight exhaust. fairly close call. he had to shift way more times than me so i was able to stick with him, but he got me when we got to like 55-60 mph. this was my cousin's quad cab dually cumapart. his truck weighs quite a bit more than mine since mine's a single cab single wheel. i guess that made a big difference as well as his 6 speed to my 5. lol. when i get a chip on mine, i'm gonna line up with him again since he will be unsuspecting and hopefully my truck will have the nuts to get by him then! LoL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58