Nice perf - but don't want a lot of noise

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading up and soundsl like besides guages the tymar intakes and 4" exhaust are first things to do to get a bit more HP and better running truck.

I'd like to tweak my truck a bit, but I don't want it to be much louder in the cab than it already is. I had a Durango with 6.6L and glasspacks and wound up hating it on long highway drones.

My buddy has a Doge Hemi truck with cold air intake and some turbo mufflers and we couldn't freakin' talk when he needed to go up a hill pulling our race trailer.

I don't want my truck to be obnoxious to me or my passengers.

So how much louder are the tymar intakes and the exhaust systems? I have a K&N in the stock box now and I'm thinking it's time to do something different....

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 4 inch, but then I like the sound also. I saw a post somewhere about a flow thru muffler that supposedly helped, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Powersledder

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Summit, magnaflow, MBRP, bullydog have flow through design mufflers, you'd be surprised how much sound they limit without limiting flow

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
so long as you do a full 4 inch exhaust and have it exit out the side, you wont notice any increased sound in the cab.

TRASH THAT K&N FILTER ASAP! That will dust your motor in a hurry. Doing a DIY intake...you will def get more noise in your cab...but what really makes it whistle is having the wicked wheel on there.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading up and soundsl like besides guages the tymar intakes and 4" exhaust are first things to do to get a bit more HP and better running truck.

I'd like to tweak my truck a bit, but I don't want it to be much louder in the cab than it already is.

Just my .02 but, on a 7.3, after Gauges, if you want Power.. yet Quiet (?) Take a look at some of the Mods below.

I went after the same thing yer after. The best of both worlds ?

I'm Cool with it.

Joe

Last edited:

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alllllrighty. SO I see you dropped 200 clams on the ford intake deal vs. doing the 66whatever filter. How much louder is it and do you still feel like that Ford intake is worth the $$?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alllllrighty. SO I see you dropped 200 clams on the ford intake deal vs. doing the 66whatever filter. How much louder is it and do you still feel like that Ford intake is worth the $$?

I sure do. I had mod'd to a K&N FIPK (Tymar type) filter but got tired of the Howling.. went to the AIS w/fender mod and never looked back. I also like the idea of.. Cooler, Outside Air sources. Much bigger snorkel, and it Retro'd right in, using the OEM nuts'n bolts.

No Noise, even when pull'n hard. As far as CFM ? I think the 'ol Cornbinder is get'n all the air he wants and needs. Good stuff.

Joe

Side'z, I can hear my Turbo sing'n to me better too..:D:sweet

Last edited:

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw where someone had posted where to get those for like $200 or less...anyone have a good source? ITP nor Diesel Manor have them it appears.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw where someone had posted where to get those for like $200 or less...anyone have a good source? ITP nor Diesel Manor have them it appears.

You might check E-bay.. as these 7.3s get older, some stuff gets harder to find ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14