Nitrogen in Tires?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I just saw a commercial on TV for a local gas station that claims they put nitrogen in tires. They say you get better tread wear, better gas mileage and they don't deflate in cold weather. Is this a gimmick to get people into the station or has anyone heard of it. They showed a green valve-stem that is the indication that there is nitrogen in the tire. I have never heard of such a thing:dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people putting pure nitrogen into their tires as well as pure CO2. Both claim the same better tire wear based on some odd arguement. The nitrogen does not oxidize the rubber components as rapidly as compressed atmospheric air which is roughly 79% nitrogen anyway.

As far as gas expanding & contracting as temps change you can't change that

PV=NrT

It's quite a good gimmick but if you google "nitrogen tire" you'll find quite few people spewing the same information.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
nitrogen expands and contracts at a slower rate than regular atmoshphere air you put n the tires.
it aslo has less effect on the rubber degading like mentioned earlier, because its missing all teh nasty stuff in the normal air you breath.

a more consistent tire pressure is maintained over a longer period of time, say two weeks vice one week
as an aircraft master mechanic. we use it to give longer tire life and more consistent pressures over a wider range of operating temps. it still expands and contracts , just at a slower or different rate than regular old air you breath everyday

Saftman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
NItrogen molecules are larger than air/oxygen molecules, hence they do not leak or seep as fast. Over the road trucks have been using nitrogen for years.You can buy a set-up for your home (nitrogen generator, storage tank, etc.) but I'msure it's on the expensive side.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
nitrogen expands and contracts at a slower rate than regular atmoshphere air you put n the tires.
it aslo has less effect on the rubber degading like mentioned earlier, because its missing all teh nasty stuff in the normal air you breath.

a more consistent tire pressure is maintained over a longer period of time, say two weeks vice one week
as an aircraft master mechanic. we use it to give longer tire life and more consistent pressures over a wider range of operating temps. it still expands and contracts , just at a slower or different rate than regular old air you breath everyday

Yep, right on. Sez it all. All military A/C use it in the tires, for the reasons above.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
HCAbowman said:
Exactly what powerbtr said!! I am an AC mechanic also, we use it in all our tires!

Yep another aircraft mech. we use it in aircraft tires, it has NO moisture in it... A must for high altitude AC.

:cowboy:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
it has NO moisture in it.
The fact that it has no moisture in it must be why it does not lose pressure during cold temperatures. It is currently -33 here and I can see the tires on my old 75' going flat as I type. The rest of the rigs are inside so they are not losing air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14