NJ Inspection law for diesel

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I didn't know where to post this thread, and I hope there are some people out there that own "non-commercial" diesel trucks. My 2000 X 7.3 PSD is up for inspection here in NJ. Now my inspection that was done 2 years ago was just for safety stuff, like lights, brakes, suspension, horn, etc. and no emission testing. Now, New Jersey changed the law that they are no longer are doing the safety inspections and are only doing emissions. Well I don't know what to do now since they didn't do emissions before. I mean is there no inspection for me then? If so, do I get a new sticker or leave the old one on, or take it off all together? My dilemma is I can't just take it to the DMV inspection station because the check engine light is on for all my glow plugs on one side of the motor for some reason. I don't know why, but it is a job for tomorrow. I don't want to take it to the DMV and reject it for the check engine light being on. I also don't want to get pulled over for not having an inspection sticker or having an old on on my truck. I am hoping someone on this forum is from NJ and has brought their truck through inspection and tell me what they dealt with would be great! Thanks in advance!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Call NJ DMV to find out what the procedure is for us now,if it's as simple as just sending in your check to decal the new window decal,I'm good with that! ;tu

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys... Going to work on the glow plug engine code issue today. P0678, P0676, P0674, P0672... Off to research!

Nazty 4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Inspection needed! On diesel vehicles with GVW of 8501-9999 no inspection needed. Scrape out the sticker. I printed out a form on nj dmv website that says no inspection needed that way if I get pulled over I can show the cop.

On diesel vehicles 10,000 to 18,000 is self inspection which is the same that it always has been.

18,001 and up is smoke test.

This is the gvw on the door of your vehicle, not what it is registered for.

All the info is on dmv's website

Last edited:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome! Thanks so much! Maybe our state isn't so bad after all! I wonder what they do now about lifts. My truck isn't lifted, but I am curious if they are still inspecting that.

Nazty 4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NJ still has lift laws and lift inspection.
Your allowed to have 4" of total lift before you have to go to lift inspection.
4" including tires and lift

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl