Question no 4x4 PLease Help

rhino1440

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No 4x4 even when I lock the hubs manually. any idea what it could be.

Thanx

2000 F-250 S/D

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
can you see fwd drive shaft turn, put in 2wd manually lock hubs check drive shaft that eliminates hubs, disconnect vac hoses for hubs and plug and then put in 4wd and see if shaft turns that will tell for transfer case.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
short lever or shift-on-the-fly / electronic?

I've noticed that mine (even with the Warn hubs) doesn't always engage unless I put it in neutral, and select low range. When I hear/feel the "thump," I select high range and away we go...

Last edited:

rhino1440

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have the electronic shift on the fly, Even when I manually lock the hubs, I got no 4x4. Do you think the transfer case is bad?

dpantazis

Reaction score
try doing what JLD suggested. i would try it on a straight, less traveled road. a helper would be handy to get out and look from the side of the road at the drive shafts. come to a stop, get out, lock the hubs, shift the truck into N, then hit the button for 4Lo. put it in drive, then sense for the thunk. then try 4Hi.

this way you can eliminate the transfer case from being 'bad'

do you exercise 4WD in the 'off season'. could just be sticky.

the servo in the transfer case might be suspect, but i think its unlikely.

selphdanny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
one question do you have the over head info panel?? if so is it working? i do know that your E-S-O-F 4X4 computer is tied in with that panel. my uncles went out and never thought the 4x4 didn't work until he got stuck one day. ford replaced the computer and wallah problem solved.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I have the electronic shift on the fly, Even when I manually lock the hubs, I got no 4x4. Do you think the transfer case is bad?

highly unlikely.
It the most, you may have a bad range motor.

Did you try to flip it in low range like I said?

jasowiii

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
one question do you have the over head info panel?? if so is it working? i do know that your E-S-O-F 4X4 computer is tied in with that panel. my uncles went out and never thought the 4x4 didn't work until he got stuck one day. ford replaced the computer and wallah problem solved.

Can anyone confirm this? I asked a reputable ford mechanic if they are related and he said NO!

Funny thing is ESOF and overhead computer display went haywire at the same time:confused:

Jim

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this? I asked a reputable ford mechanic if they are related and he said NO!

Funny thing is ESOF and overhead computer display went haywire at the same time:confused:

Jim

I dont have an overhead computer in mine, all I have is the info center under the odometer. So I cant confirm it, but I do know that when my 4x4 quit shifting, I had to replace the transfer case mod motor. A year later when my hubs quit, I had to hook up a vacuum line.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim