No Fuel

dvor316

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Looking to get some help. I have an 03 F250 with a 7.3. I was doing maintenance on it, oil, air and fuel filter changes. After draining the fuel filter housing and reinstalling the new filter, I started the truck. It ran briefly then started running rough, then died. I checked drain lever to make sure it was closed. I removed the cap and checked for fuel which there was very little. I cycled the ignition several times with the cap off and no fuel was getting to the filter housing.
I had found the fuel heater plug off and had replaced it. I checked the fuses for the pump, #40, and it was ok. I did find one for the ignition that was blown and replaced it. Tried cycling it again and no fuel is being pumped to the filter. I got under the truck and checked to see if the pump was running which it is when the key is cycled to start.
It was running fine before I changed the filter. Is it possible the pump is bad? Is it possible it lost it's prime when I drained the housing completely to clean it out? I searched the forums but didn't see anything on similar issues. Thanks for your help!

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
unplug the fuel bowl heater and leave it unpluged, then re replace the fuse and then you should be fine.

dvor316

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks iracemine,
I checked the fuel pump fuse which was ok. I did not see one for the fuel heater. Does anybody know what number or location that would be? Does it affect the fuel pump as it was spinning when the key is put in the on position.
Thanks for the replies!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump may have lost prime ? If the fuel level in the tank is low.. there isn't enough gravity (weight) to help push fuel up the pick up tube, then down to the pump, in enough (syphon effect) volume to get a prime. (it cavitates ?)

A little pressure from a Shop-Vac.. Blower side.. applied to the fill port will push the fuel to the pump.

Try this:

Filter cap on, drain valve open, apply the Vac pressure to the fill port, turn the key on.. 'til you see clear fuel at the drain valve tube. Turn off the Vac and Key.. close the drain valve. A Helper helps.

I'll betcha he'll Fire Right up.

Joe

Last edited:

dvor316

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I checked all the related fuses and they were fine. In a desperate act of stupidity I went and got 5 gal of fuel even though the guage says over a 1/4 of a tank. Put in the fuel, went over and turned the key to on. Lo and behold I see fuel filling the housing!!!! WTF I guess the fuel pickup in the tank must have an issue or something. Never had this issue before and I track my fillups and have ran it near empty several times.
I cycled it several times to fill the housing and fired it up. It ran rough for a few minutes then was smooth as glass. I still am going to get the IH replacement heater ASAP too.
Thanks for the replies! I guess that I should have checked the most obvious possible cause first. :sorry

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I checked all the related fuses and they were fine. In a desperate act of stupidity I went and got 5 gal of fuel even though the guage says over a 1/4 of a tank. Put in the fuel, went over and turned the key to on. Lo and behold I see fuel filling the housing!!!! WTF I guess the fuel pickup in the tank must have an issue or something. Never had this issue before and I track my fillups and have ran it near empty several times.
I cycled it several times to fill the housing and fired it up. It ran rough for a few minutes then was smooth as glass. I still am going to get the IH replacement heater ASAP too.
Thanks for the replies! I guess that I should have checked the most obvious possible cause first. :sorry

Don't believe your fuel gauge!!! Always reset your trip and go by that. My truck will run out of fuel at a little below a 1/4 of a tank with the overhead saying 100 miles till empty! Glad you fixed it!

dpantazis

Reaction score
glad it worked out for you!

you don't really need the fuel bowl heater. it can wait.

read the wiki on the hutch mod to see how the fuel pickup can suck air through the mixing foot. fixing that may make a difference if you NEED full tanks.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
glad it worked out for you!

you don't really need the fuel bowl heater. it can wait.

read the wiki on the hutch mod to see how the fuel pickup can suck air through the mixing foot. fixing that may make a difference if you NEED full tanks.

X2. yeah in texas you dont need the fuel bowl heater, you can just leave it unplugged. but do what dp says and do the hutch mod first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58