No Fuel

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I checked all the related fuses and they were fine. In a desperate act of stupidity I went and got 5 gal of fuel even though the guage says over a 1/4 of a tank. Put in the fuel, went over and turned the key to on. Lo and behold I see fuel filling the housing!!!! WTF I guess the fuel pickup in the tank must have an issue or something. Never had this issue before and I track my fillups and have ran it near empty several times.
I cycled it several times to fill the housing and fired it up. It ran rough for a few minutes then was smooth as glass. I still am going to get the IH replacement heater ASAP too.
Thanks for the replies! I guess that I should have checked the most obvious possible cause first. :sorry

Sounds like you need to do a 'Hutch' mod. I'll bet the rubber pickup snout has come loose from the pickup assembly in the tank. I've made posts before about my experiences with the same thing. I'll see if I can find my old post and give you a link.

on edit:

Found one:

Several years ago, as I started getting below a 1/2 tank, the engine started getting significantly louder. As it got closer to 1/4 it started running rough and eventually quit all together. It was almost like I ran out of fuel, but I had a hair over 1/4 tank. I put some more fuel into it and got it running again. Once I got it home, I drained and dropped the tank and opened it up. I pulled the pickup assembly out and when I went to grab the black pickup foot, it fell off in my hand. It was so loose, it would suck air around the top where it was pressed on to the assembly when the fuel level in the tank got low enough.

I then figured that this was a good time to do the "Hutch" pickup mod I had read so much about. I haven't had any fuel delivery problems since.

Last edited:

dvor316

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes sir it does sound like the Hutch mod is in order. I think I will keep the tank 1/2 full until warmer weather arrives. I also need to replace the drain valve on the fuel filter housing. It is leaking fuel and hard to turn. Now if I can just figure out why the flasher relay is clicking all the time even when the signals are not on I will be in good shape! Time for another post. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58