No Grease fittings??

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
I figured since i havn't greased the front end since i have had it i would do it. well as i crawled up under it to my supprise there are not fittings WTF?? is ford getting to be that cheap where they save a few dimes on grease fittings? i know tie rod ends and ball joints cant last that long with out being greased.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 02 the only things not greaseable was the factory ball joints and u-joints. Personally I think it's a big scam to help sell replacement parts.

Last edited:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
My 97 and my 99 didn't have fittings either. The 2006 E350 has plugs that I have to take out to put in fittings for the ball joints. GM puts the fittings on their joints but they have a shorter life span the the non greaseable Ford.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
matt-
it is all just plain 'crap'. i don't understand why they don't put them on. mine already have been replaced. and ford DID put on greasable ones.:D i did not even have to ask.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
is the truck a 4x4?

IF so i think the only two greese fittings are on U-joings on the front axles.

I will have to crawl under one of our trucks (newest we have is an 05) and look. For the most part the automotive world has gone sealed bearings and suspension/steering parts.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
yep its 4wd. I didn't see any fittings on the front dshaft :cussing:

I have not been to work yet (today is my day off) so i havent confirmed yet.... but they shouldnt be on the driveshaft. Check the Axles... where the axles are able to bend for steering there is another U-joint inside the steering knuckle (i guess that is what you would call it). Each side should have one greese fitting.

From memory i thought there were a total of 3 grease fittings... and for the life of me i cant remember where that third one was.

Again.. i will check on monday when i get back to work, we have 2 in the shop now.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Ok. looked at our trucks and i was right, we have two grease fittings.... one on each of the front axle. Did you find them?

The third one we have is on the rear driveshaft but we have a custom 1 foot long rear driveshaft so it is aftermarket.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the factory ford u-joints have grease fittings at least none that I've ever seen. Somebody must have already installed aftermarket replacements.

Some driveshaft slip yokes are equipped with grease fittings. Mostly older stuff though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58