no more mercon?

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
hheynow said:
I use Redline ATF (Mercon rated) in my tranny. After reading the link, I sent Redline an email asking if they will continuue manufacturing Mercon after the '07 deadline. When I get their reply I'll post it here.

I did the same with Castrol.

dpantazis

Reaction score
???

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, re-read the article. I am not saying your interpretation is not correct, just lets not get all worried until we have more FACTS.

The page referenced appears to be the only source as of yet. I spent a few minutes googling. No news at SAE either, who hosted the conference. No word from Ford yet either. I would consider it unconfirmed. Sign of things to come- sure.

The source also 'scooped' Dexron IV at the same conference:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000384801.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Type F was intriduced in what, 1956? Retried in 1997. Type F is still being sold....though its not apples to apples as Mercon and Type F are not interchangable.

Have a look at this page for the info on Type F Fluid- seems reasonable enough. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/306.cfm

According to the original article, 197M gallons of ATF were sold in '04. Of that, 59% was Dexron3/Mercon. Thats almost 120M gallons and I would guess MILLIONS of cars on the road use this fluid.

Considering the article on Dexron3/4, which has other numbers of consumption (interesting?). It says cost will be a driving factor on adoption of Dexron 4- and may even push for continued Dexron 3 supply.

FMC is not that dumb to spec or push a product that will ruin E40D, 4R100 and CD4E trannys are they?

Neither is GM to spec out fluids that won't work in Dexron 2/3 vehicles.

For the record, I too have taken the Owners book as gospel and 'trusted' the info on the Internet on why we can not use V. I have enough faith in capitalism that Dexron III/Mercon fluid will be available long after my truck is dead and gone.

dennis

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
Dennis,

Excellent analysis and response. You make a lot of sense and I, for one, hope that you are correct. Good old capitalism and self interest are powerful forces driving our markets to provide what the consumer wants and is willing to pay for.

Thanks!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
hheynow said:
I use Redline ATF (Mercon rated) in my tranny. After reading the link, I sent Redline an email asking if they will continuue manufacturing Mercon after the '07 deadline. When I get their reply I'll post it here.

Here's Redline's email reply:

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, we will still have a product for those transmission applications that require a Mercon fluid of the same viscosity range. At this point we don't have the final product lineup."

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that even if they did stop producing Mercon (non V) from Ford, that Dexron 3 would be ok as Dexron 3/Mercon is normally sold as the same thing. GM still uses Dexron 3 in many new vehicles, so I'd expect availability to remain good for a long time to come. Am I missing something?

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
JSPulliam21 said:
I did the same with Castrol.
Here is the reply I recieved from Castrol:

"Continuing to market the same fluid without the Dexron or Mercon name is a
possibility which is being considered, and yes, we can do this, but the
fluid will not be licensed or "approved" for Dexron or Mercon and we could
not use those names anywhere on our new label. However, an important thing to remember is that while this fluid would no longer be licensed, it will
still have the same performance it always had."

No worries, I guess.:sweet

www.truckpulls.com

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
RenoF250 said:
That still does not explain why the manual states not to use Mercon V. If it was better it should not have been a big deal.

Because there was most likely 3 billion dollars in the old product in stock in 12 distribution centers across the country. Ford had to make sure everyone used it up, and than changed thier tune to say that the new product that they most likey have 6 billion in inventory of....is what you now want to buy and use....lol. The thing is, it is what it is....and its nothing else. Ford engineer that designs this stuff says its good....who are we to argue. It was probably good or better from the start, and the statement most likely had something to do with marketing and finances...

I remeber when broccoli caused cancer, you would die soon if you used salt at the table, and also you would die if you eat bacon and/or eggs. Over time all of those things that we all read and swore by past on....just like your old tranny fluid.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
No more Mercon

I'm glad theres no more Mercon. Nothing is new, just reinvented. For people with big mods or people that pull big, Change to type-F, B&M has sold it for 40 years by the name of Quick shift. Never did a thing for my C6 but my 727 torqueflyte and TH400 i had were awesome. Its been in my X for over 50,000mi now. I know my kids run her they rented her! It's almost a shift kit by it self. That soft smooth shift you get stock is part valving and part fluid. Think about whats going on inside as you change gears. Your slip slide'n away. Thats what Mercon does for you. It isn't for long life.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
let me bump this. sorry.

I have been using the search button and I think I wore it off:roflmao But I keep finding different conclusions for what to use.

first whats mercon sp???

and is the "new" mercon v ok to use in the 4R100s now?

is there no such thing as just mercon anymore or has it always been mercon/dexronIII?

I asked all... and i mean all the local ford dealers and they are oblivious to any "requierment". but one guy read the back of the bottle of moble 1 and it said it was for non mercon v but mercon/dexronIII trucks and he was selling it for like 2.90somthing. if I dont flush everything will the non synthetic and synthetic clash??????

please help or ill start a poll:lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14